General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car loses power

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 09:41 PM
Default Car loses power

I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with automatic transmission. Recently the car loses power when trying to accelerate and stalled a few times (flooring it does nothing). The tachometer gets stuck @ 0 while driving regardless of speed and acceleration. I also just noticed today that nothing happens when I try to downshift manually.

But it doesn’t always happen. Sometimes it works just fine and the tachometer pops back to life. When I brought it to my mechanic he couldn’t observe the problem and no error codes came up (and didn't seem to think that it was a transmission problem).

Any insight as to what the problem might be or what I should tell the mechanic to check would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-28-2022, 01:57 PM

The tach signal is trying to tell us something.

More examining of crank sensor and signals coming from it are in order. It could be a sensor problem, a wiring problem between the sensor and the PCM
Usually when the crank signal is interrupted or lost intermittently the engine will almost stop running. Crank sensor circuits don't usually produce a code.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
The tach signal is trying to tell us something.

More examining of crank sensor and signals coming from it are in order. It could be a sensor problem, a wiring problem between the sensor and the PCM
Usually when the crank signal is interrupted or lost intermittently the engine will almost stop running. Crank sensor circuits don't usually produce a code.
Thanks. The tach works when the engine works normally and then it goes dead when the engine acts up.