General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

dealer issues...help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Default dealer issues...help!

So I brought my car ('02 accent)in to have the bearings replaced, the dealer called me and said they were having difficulty removing the passenger side rotor and they were going to have to brake it to get it off (understandable, they sometimes get frozen on). Ok that sent the bill up another $115, then they were going to have to keep it over night……ok….I called them at 4pm today (24 + hours in service) and they said they had a problem with the CV joint (“it popped off”) and they were trying to fix it. [/b]
This is my issue... is it normal practice to replace one CV joint? I owned a mustang that needed to have a CV joint replaced and my mechanic said that it was not a good idea to change just one, I don’t remember the details but I was against it and he was adamant about doing both, so I listened to him and had them both done.[/b]
My question… If it is standard practice to change both (such as brake calipers) and is it reasonable for me to say “You broke one, I want them both replaced!” Or if anyone has the Hyundai mechanics book if it recommends doing both at once. Any insight on this would be extremely helpful. I am also ok with public scrutiny if I am out of line. [/b]
Thanks[/b]
- jeffrey[/b]

Old 05-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: dealer issues...help!

You cant compare the CV joint of the front wheel drive Accent with the CV joint of a rear wheel driver mustang. They are not the same thing. Replaceing just one CV joint isn't a problem.

Personally, anything they broke should be replaced for free.And yes, I would want 2 matching rotors. I'd ask for 2 rotors and tell them you are willing to pay for one (the other one not broken) but you want them to eat the cost of the one they broke.