General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Light Not Going Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:31 AM
Default Engine Light Not Going Out

Have a 2001 Elantra with 54,000.Have had problems with the check eng lite for about 5 years now.I've had it off and reset and it was pretty good for a while but now it's comming on again and won't go away and I'm getting a code of P1134, I failed emissions even after I erased the code.
Does anyone know what the P1134 code is related to and where I can start to look to find the problem.
I have 3 weeks till I have to go back for a recheck.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Default RE: Engine Light Not Going Out

P1134 = bad heated oxygen sensor

From http://www.hmaservice.com/:

2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > Fuel System

HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR (HO2S)- Single HO2SThe heated oxygen sensor senses the oxygen concentration in the exhaust gas, then converts it into a voltage and then sends this to the ECM. The heated oxygen sensor gives an output of about 800mV when the air fuel ratio is richer than the theoretical ratio and output of about 100mV when the ratio is leaner (higher oxygen concentration in exhaust gas.) The ECM controls fuel injection based on this signal so that the air fuel ratio is maintained at the theoretical ratio.[/align]

CIRCUIT DIAGRAM[/align]

TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS[/align]

a.If the heated oxygen sensor is defective, abnormally high emissions may occur.[/align]

b.If the heated oxygen sensor check is normal but the sensor output voltage is out of specification, check for the following items related to the air fuel ratio control system:[/align]
1)Faulty injector.[/align]
2)Air leaks in the intake manifold.[/align]
3)Faulty mass air flow sensor, purge valve and engine coolant temperature sensor.[/align]
4)Wiring connection problem.[/align]

USING VOLTMETER/HI-SCAN (Pro)
[/align]
Check item[/align]
Check condition[/align]
Engine condition[/align]
Test specification[/align]

Heated oxygen sensor output voltage[/align]Warm-up[/align]When decelerating suddenly from 4,000 rpm[/align]A. 200mV or lower[/align]When engine is suddenly raced[/align]B. 600-1,000mV[/align]

If you release the accelerator pedal suddenly after engine running about 4000 rpm, fuel supply will stop for short period and the Osensor service data in the HI-SCAN (Pro) will display values 200mV or lower.[/align]When you suddenly press on the accelerator pedal down, the voltage will reach 600-1000mV.[/align]When you let the engine idle again, the voltage will fluctuate between 200mV or lower and 600-1000mV. In this case, the Osensor can be determined as good.[/align]

HARNESS INSPECTION PROCEDURES[/align]

SENSOR INSPECTION[/align]

a.Before checking, warm up the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches 80 to 95°C (176 to 205°F).[/align]

b.Use an accurate digital voltmeter.[/align]

Replace the oxygen sensor if there is a malfunction.[/align]

Tightening torque[/align]Heated oxygen sensor : 50-60 Nm (500-600 kg.cm, 37-44 lb.ft)

Old 05-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Also, is that an emissions-related component? If so, I think the warranty on it is 8 years, 80,000 miles. You might be able to get it fixed by the dealer for free (assuming you don't have an aftermarket exhaust).

Old 05-30-2008, 08:59 PM

8 YEAR / 80,000 MILES
FEDERAL EMISSION AND PERFORMANCE WARRANTY
Covers repair or replacement of the following original Hyundai major emissions control components that cause the vehicle to fail to conform to an applicable EPA approved Inspection/Maintenance Program:

1) Catalytic Converter
2) Engine Control Module
3) Onboard Emissions Diagnostic Device (OBDII)

Other EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5 years / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Unless the O2 sensor is part of item #3, I don't think it is covered under the Federal emisions warrenty. On the other hand...

7 YEAR / 70,000 MILES
CALIFORNIA EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM WARRANTY
Applies to vehicles manufactured to California specifications, which are distributed by Hyundai Motor America and registered in the states of California, Vermont,Massachusetts, and Maine.

Covers repair or replacement of specific original Hyundai emissions components (specific covered emissions components vary by model).

California Emissions Control Systems Warranty is in addition to Federal Emissions Defect & Performance Warranty.

Other California Emissions Control Systems Warranty emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5 years / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
The sensor may be covered (barely given it's 2008) under the California Emission Warranty if you happen to live in one of the four states listed.