General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key Fobs not working outside of car

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 AM
Default Key Fobs not working outside of car

Hope I'm posting this in the right place! I searched for another thread to help, but didn't find one quite like this.

2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited. Currently 71k miles. Everything was working just fine until our recent cold snap a few days ago. Went outside and pressed my unlock button on the door handle. Nothing. Hit unlock and lock on my key fob. Nothing. I figured the battery was dead (temps around 10 degrees), but the car started up just fine when I was in it. I tried to lock the car with the keys in it and it wouldn't lock, so it's recognizing the key if it's inside the car. Did some quick tests with both smartkeys (main and backup) after changing the batteries in the keys:

1. If the car door is closed and the fob is outside of the car, the fob will NOT work.
2. If the car door is open and the fob is outside of the car it WILL work.
3. If I'm inside of the car with the door open, it will work.
4. If I'm inside the car with the door closed, it will work.

It just seems like the car won't recognize the fob if it's outside of the car and the door is closed. I'm going to try disconnecting/reconnecting my battery tonight to see if a reset will help. I was planning on trading the car in this week so I'm desperate for help =/ All advice is appreciated!!

Old 11-19-2021, 07:25 PM

Hi. This is crazy. Because I am experiencing the same thing. When it gets cold outside. It seems like the car doesn't respond to the fob. Or it will respond intermittently. But, when the weather warms up. It works perfectly. I changed the battery in the remotes. But, the problem is still there. Not sure where to check now.

Originally Posted by mdobb
Hope I'm posting this in the right place! I searched for another thread to help, but didn't find one quite like this.

2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited. Currently 71k miles. Everything was working just fine until our recent cold snap a few days ago. Went outside and pressed my unlock button on the door handle. Nothing. Hit unlock and lock on my key fob. Nothing. I figured the battery was dead (temps around 10 degrees), but the car started up just fine when I was in it. I tried to lock the car with the keys in it and it wouldn't lock, so it's recognizing the key if it's inside the car. Did some quick tests with both smartkeys (main and backup) after changing the batteries in the keys:

1. If the car door is closed and the fob is outside of the car, the fob will NOT work.
2. If the car door is open and the fob is outside of the car it WILL work.
3. If I'm inside of the car with the door open, it will work.
4. If I'm inside the car with the door closed, it will work.

It just seems like the car won't recognize the fob if it's outside of the car and the door is closed. I'm going to try disconnecting/reconnecting my battery tonight to see if a reset will help. I was planning on trading the car in this week so I'm desperate for help =/ All advice is appreciated!!

Old 11-20-2021, 07:35 AM
Default Have the same problem but with Elantra 2015 Supreme

Originally Posted by Crusher560
Hi. This is crazy. Because I am experiencing the same thing. When it gets cold outside. It seems like the car doesn't respond to the fob. Or it will respond intermittently. But, when the weather warms up. It works perfectly. I changed the battery in the remotes. But, the problem is still there. Not sure where to check now.
there is a difference in my problem because it happens to be usually when it’s hot outside.
some time I go and come back and it’s works, some time I lock the car and it works, but sometimes I wait more then a hour.
tried to replace battery but don’t work.
can some one help us?

Old 11-20-2021, 03:48 PM

Can you tell us if the problem is confined to only the driver's door or all the doors?

Old 11-21-2021, 02:33 AM
Default The problem is way bigger

Originally Posted by hanky
Can you tell us if the problem is confined to only the driver's door or all the doors?
the problem is for all the doors.
to open the door it’s not a big problem because there is a way to open the door with physical key that is in the remote.
the real problem is that some times the car doesn’t start( the problem isn’t in the starter),
There is a light that show that key not detected

Old 11-21-2021, 02:25 PM

The interior of the key switch assy may have a loose connection or be worn requiring replacement.