General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need advice on vapor-lock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Default Need advice on vapor-lock?

I am having the hardest dang time determining what precisely is wrong with my car. I have replaced the fuel filter and have had the car diganosed @ AutoZone and they said my coil packs were fine but that i had a couple Oxygen sensors were bad. I realize my car has a exhaust leak but can the exhaust leak tell my electronic part of the car to stall EVERY time it has to come to a stop?

Old 05-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Default RE: Need advice on vapor-lock?

First mistake was having autozone diagnose (ha) your car. They are there to sell parts not accuratly diagnose vehicles. Now an exhaust leka can throw o2 sensor codes. If your vehicle is stalling have it diagnosed at a shop or dealer who have the expertise at doing such diagnosis.Yea it might cost ya a few bucks but so will throwing parts at your car.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Default RE: Need advice on vapor-lock?

I am having the hardest dang time determining what precisely is wrong with my car. I have replaced the fuel filter and have had the car diganosed @ AutoZone and they said my coil packs were fine but that i had a couple Oxygen sensors were bad. I realize my car has a exhaust leak but can the exhaust leak tell my electronic part of the car to stall EVERY time it has to come to a stop?
I've had unnecessary parts sold to me from the Auto parts store as well. I would say that depending on where your exaust leak is in the exhaust system -yes, the O2 sensor or sensors can tell the computer an incorrect ratio of fuel was burned and the computer is trying to adjust the current fuel/air ratio for it accordingly. Can you clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and then possibly take it to a different auto parts store for another reading of the codes? I think on most or all of these cars, the O2 sensor or sensors are only supposed to last x amount of miles before needing replacement anyway. You might check in your manual or look it up in the Chilton's or Haynes repair manuals. It should tell you how many miles should elapse before they recommend replacing them. If you don't replace them at the recommended miles, they end up failing eventually anyway. I had an old Nissan truck that was supposed to have the O2 sensor replaced @ 60,000 miles. It finally burnt out @ 85,000 miles. As I recall, it did throw up some sort of check engine or idiot light of some sort. Good luck.