General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing brake pads on elantra

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Default Replacing brake pads on elantra

im trying to replace the rear brake pads on my dads elantra. They're disc brakes and i purchased a caliper piston compressor to move the piston but its just making the piston spin, it wont actually move back to make room for the new pads. Is there somehting I'm not doing right? I'm just using it with a 3/8 ratchet and turning it like a nut

Old 04-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Replacing brake pads on elantra

ORIGINAL: moonz

I always use an 8 inch C-clamp to push the piston back into the caliper. I 've never found the need to use a tool specifically designed for the job.
Rear calipers do require a special tool because the piston needs to be rotated clockwise to be pressed back in the caliper. The front caliper pistons do not require that and can just be pressed in with a c-clamp.

I guess you know to be sure you have the top off of the brake fluid reservoir when you push the piston back into the caliper. This allows the displaced fluid some extra room to expand. Sometimes a really full brake fluid reservoir will need to have a small amount of fluid temorarily removed while you do the brakes, and then topped off when you finish the job.

Don't push the caliper pistons in too far...just enough so the caliper with new pads in place will fit over the rotor. Pushing the pistons in too far can sometimes cause them to stick, or may even screw up the rubber piston boot.
This would be my guess. First, make sure the parking brake is completely off and then remove some fluid from the master cylinder.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: moonz

I can't seem to find any instructions at Hyundai's HMAservice online manuals that describes a special tool for rotating caliper pistons on Elantra rear brakes, and a procedure that claims rotating the pistons to depress them is necessary to change the rear pads, although it may indeed be the case. Maybe I'm overlooking it on the website. What does the inside of the rear caliper piston bore look like that would require you to rotate the piston to depress it? a spiral spline? Now that would be very unusual, and expensive to manufacture. I don't own an Elantra, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the brakes. But, as a comparison, my Mazda has 4-wheel discs, and the rear calipers are no different then the fronts. You can replace the pads the very same way, front and rear.

I'm beginning to think I was real lucky not to have bought an Elantra.
It has nothing to do with the Elantra, it has to do with rear calipers having the parking brake. It's the function of the parking brake that requires this. It's very common on most cars with rear discs.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hyundai-R...rear-brake.htm

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl958.htm

Old 04-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

It's not just the Elantra. My Tib has the same type rear calipers. I think most if not all Hyundai's with rear discs have this style. Heck, even my friends Ford Focus does. Very common on modern cars.

Here's what I use (cheap and small):

Nicer but costs more:

Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 AM

Hi this forum was really great advice for me wen me n my da cudnt understand why we cud push the compresser back although we managed to rotate the piece back so we cud put the pads in andforit to fitover the dischow we done tis waswe used a pliers wit the really skinny heads and pinched the edges and rotated it til it depressed back enough worked like a charm ...

Old 10-24-2008, 11:54 PM

^ Thanks for the tip, Haze; I used the same needlenose method on my girl's 06 tib gt, and it saved me from the bother of the tool.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:01 AM

Also note some parts stores have tools to loan. Call around to see.
Good luck and keep it rolling.