General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tried Changing The Rear Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Default Tried Changing The Rear Brake Pads

Hi,

I have an 03 xg350l with 42k miles on it and I was changing out the pads on the rear brakes. When I removed the pads I noticed that the inner pad was worn down to almost nothing while the outer pad had plenty of life left. Maybe a good 30 to 40 percent of pad material left. This was the case on both rear wheels.

I suspected that the caliper was not functioning properly so I put the pads back on and took it to the dealer thinking faulty calipers would be a covered warranty issue. BUT the dealer says this type of wear pattern is normal. And that the worn down pad was simply cuased because it was the side the piston presses down on and that is what makes it wear faster.

They also told me that I need new rotors too. Which I don't understand how with only 42k miles I have to get rotors already. Besides they looked fine. What is going on here? Is the dealer trying to pull a fast one? Or would others here agree with what they say?

Someone please help. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Default RE: Tried Changing The Rear Brake Pads

Hello I am new at this site so hope you get this. Alot of dealer's rip you off on brakes..if your pads are worn so that the metal backing on them shows , that metal will hit your rotors when they turn and scorched or gouge your rotors..ONLY then do they need to be replaced or if they are warpped from high heat. Because if you replace the pads with bad rotors, the new pads will get gouged from the worn marks (gouges) on the rotors..Since the car has low mileage, I would just replaced the pads, unless the rotors are gouged..you can visually see this..alot of auto shops will resurface them if needed, if they are so worn and out of specifications, then they must be replaced..I hope this helps.Good luck.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:33 AM

Someone missed one on this car. If the piston side pad is worn and the outer is not then the caliper slides may be at fault.If the caliper cannot retract after brake pressure applied then inside pad will wear.As for rotors, they may need changing if machining them would put them out of spec.I can argue that is not just dealers who ( rip) you off as gail says.I see alot of tire and brake shops rip people off.It is because the technician is not diagnosing and replacing parts as they should be.If I suspect that the rotor is unsafe I will NOT use that rotor.I will quote for a new one. I dont want customers driving off in a vehicle that is not safe.That is my job. So I would ask the dealer why the rotors need replacement . I would disagree with (normal wear). They should wear evenly.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 PM

A couple things to ask about the possible faulty caliper slides you mention.

To remedy this would you say I need to -

Replace or rebuild the whole caliper?

Just take the caliper apart and thoroughly lubricate all moving parts, seals, rings, etc?

And if lubricating could I use brake fluid or something else like No Sieze?

I'll think more about the rotors though. Maybe have them inspected somewhere else to see if they can be cut or if they're still usable as is.

If not maybe I could get a quote for them.