Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

02 accent sludge question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:04 AM
Default 02 accent sludge question

New to forum, and looking for some advice on the old ladys 2002 hyundai accent with the 1.6L DOHC. We bought the car used, with 92K on it, and have changed the oil regularly with quality oil and wix filters. Noticed last oil change the valve cover was leaking pretty good, so I ordered a new one. Upon removal of the valve cover to replace the gasket, the sludge on the top of the engine is more then I have seen myself ever. And some of it like on the cam top bolts, are 1/2 inch thick or more and covered in this black crusty sludge el-crapo. Engine has been fine, not starving for oil(suprize), and needing the car back in service the next day I just cleaned the inside of the valve cover itself, and installed the new gasket being very careful not to disturb or knock of chunks of crud. I figured since I didnt have the time, dont mess with it, as fear of leaving some and it clogging crap up from loose pieces breaking off or whatever. Heard of people with cases like this, use a flush additive, and end up clogging ports up with chunks of crust/crap.
Anyone got a secret way of removing this crap without having to tear it completely down? I was thinking of lining with a clean cloth once valve cover removed, and removing as much of the "solids" as possible, removing the cloth and replacing as needed-cloth like a drop cloth that is. Once down to the more liquid sludge-can I just wipe all that out, do I need to plug some areas up and spray like crazy with cleaner?? Figured once I got it clean, run some seafoam through the oil for 30 minutes, drain it change filter, and repeat with seafoam again-hoping to remove any loose particles I missed?? Car only has 127K on it now, so whoever had it before us sure didnt like to change oil that often it appears. Its kinda like that ford commercial you see the guy holding a engine head up, and the actor poking his finger in that thick crap and saying see people change your oil....

I plan on taking some photos-perfect example to show people why to not put it off.

My 97 car has 50K more miles on it, and when I changed the timing chain, it looked shiny and just a hint of discolor...No sludge on the top end either. This hyundai, do they tend to sludge up more then other makes??
Thanks, any ideas would be appreciated..

Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Pervious owner didn't change the oil very often and probably used crappy oil.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 PM

For the next few oil changes, I would change the oil sooner than usual - like 2500 miles. Make sure the oil is properly warmed up before changing and let it drip till it stops before adding fresh oil.

Some have said that using Sea Foam before an oil change can make a big difference. Personally, I have not used it. A friend uses it in his Jeep and does drive it around for about 150 miles or so with Sea Foam mixed in the oil before changing.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:07 AM

Nova said it like it is. It was what the previous owned did, or didn't, do to the oil. Maybe no oil changes. or maybe one or two here and there. Maybe bought a quart or two of generic SA grade (Model T oil) 30W non detergent oil at the local Quick-Mart and toped it off occasionally. Who knows. But it was apparently something like that.

The best thing you can do is to simply keep changing the oil at NORMAL intervals that you always have. DON'T try to scrape away or "Seafoam" away the gunk. Leave it alone and it will stay put. Start messing with it and it will CIRCUALATE THROUGHOUT YOUR ENGINE! It will hurt nothing laying right where it is. You don't even really know WHAT it is. Just don't mess with it and change the oil at your normal intervals.