Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2001 hyundai accent tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Question 2001 hyundai accent tranny problems

the car wasnt shifting into 4 gear when I bought. it would drive normal with the overdrive off. if it was on the car jerked. I changed the pulse generaters in tranny. it shifted into 4th for about a mile. then bak to third. if I shut the car off and turn it bak on it will shift into 4th but then quickly bak to third. clicking the o/d button on or off at any speed including stoped makes no difference. I also disconnected the battery to clear the codes. does anyone hav any suggestions, any help would b appreicted

Old 03-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Why would you clear the codes before finding out what they were? The codes will direct you to what the problem is.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:47 PM

oh I wrote the codes down first then cleared them after I installed the new parts hoping that the computer would reprogram itself, but they came back.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Presumably then you checked what the codes were for? I think that's what the other posted was alluding to - posting the codes here might help folks figure out where your problem is.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Default did we find an answer

As a new member here, having owned an '02 Accent GL for 2 days now, and having tranny problems, I am very interested to see how people have solved tranny issues.
Any resolution on this one?

Old 08-04-2013, 12:57 AM

Here are a couple of good links. Bear in mind all scanners wont check for trans codes.
Long Thread but very informative and helpful - P0734 Transmission problems - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
My personal experience / how to with similar problem with my Tiburon ( covers a lot of Hyundai Auto Transmissions ) - ElantraWiki - Repair : Overdrive / 4TH gear loss or slipping

Old 10-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Default 1999 Hyundai Accent Gsi Transmission solution

Hi:

I am nit sure whether this is the right place to post this but I wanted to post it somewhere. Earlier this year (April, 2013) I started to notice that the transmission on my 1999 Hyundai Accent 2d HBK with 100k on it, would slip into neutral whenever I put a load on (going up a hill, or accelerating). It got worse, but would be episodic. I took it to the Hyundai dealer and they read the codes and said that the pulse generator and the transmission temp sensor needed replacing and that would cost $647 and then "car may need a transmission at $2918! Now this is on a used car we bought three years earlier in Boston for $1300. The dealer charged me $112 for the diagnosis. I took itt to a very reputable local auorepaitr shop and after trying several things, including changing the transmission fluid, and fixing a sticking rear brake cable (for $600!) they told me it was fixed. In fact it was not fixed but in its episodic not happening today mode. Next day, same thing, slipping into neutral or just slipping. I went online and found the Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin and they indicated, yes the pulse generator and also a "reed switch" on the back of the speedo. I ordered the parts which were $26.00 and $29.00. The pulse generator was a couple of electrical cables that plug in outside the transmission; the reed switch involved taking the dash off. I took both parts with the Hyundai tech bulletin 04-40-016 transaxle diagnosis trouble codes P0711, P0712 and P0713 to a local auto repairer that I'd used for years called Rose Auto in El Cajon, CA (they never over charge, occasionally under charge and then even don't charge if it it simple). My wife said I should have gone there right away. Theyy replaced both parts for $280. The car has been perfect since September (and it is now late October) not slipped once. So, if you have this problem it may not need a new transmission, just $60 of parts (and I am not sure which one or both fixed it, but I really don't care as it's now humming! I just thought I'd share this in case anyone else has this problem.
Cheers
Stuart

Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 AM

First of all, I'd get a code scan before I did anything to see if there is some codes stored. I'd disregard the "trans is shot" theory until I explored every other possibility. There's plenty of fixable things possibilities yet. Did the dealer tell you what "shot" means, or did they just throw it against the wall to see if it would stick?

Codes could tell you a lot. Did you try to change the trans fluid? It couldn't hurt. Use only Hyundai spec SP-III stuff.

If it was my car, and I exhausted every possibility, then I would get a junkyard trans for $400 or so. You can find a trans in your area on car-part.com. It is possible for you put it in, but it's an epic job for someone who's never done it before.