Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2011 hyundai accent blinking dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 07:07 AM
Default 2011 hyundai accent blinking dash lights

my dash lights flicker when i turn them on, after awhile they do stay on while the car is running and most of the time they are not an issue , my radio also is an issue because the system does an "uploading IPOD' when their is no ipod plugged in. once the IPOD errors the radio comes back on. (this is intermittent" . i have also replaced the rear tail light harness and now the brake light plug is burning out light it is over heating, i took the bulb out and now i have no other issues with my lights. is this an electrical issue causing these three issues or is it a separate issue? I am now replacing the turn signal switch todady to see if this resolves the dash light issue please help. where should i go from here

Old 07-06-2018, 12:51 PM

If you can have someone stand outside your vehicle and watch the vehicle outside lights to see if they show any sign of dimming. If they do ,there is a partial or complete short circuit and it could very possibly be related to the repair that was done earlier.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 PM

Just guessing ...
The flicker dash lights seem to be a partially broken wire or something wrong with the fuse box
Sometimes an electrical socket or connector will over heat or burn out due to a bad contact
The bad contact will cause resistance to be seen by the circuit
Resistance to current flow causes heat
Would suggest cleaning the contacts

Does the radio lose it's presets?
If it does then would suspect that the flickering dash lights is causing it.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Default flashing dash lights,

flashing dash lights, radio upload iPod error and the brake light in the back window also stays on constantly when i have my lights on. it does brighten up when I step on the brake. Actually, when I step on the brakes the dash lights get brighter.

We Took the car to the dealer, he suggested to remove the third brake light (the one in the rear window) off the front connection and hook it to the back brake lights and that did not help so we hooked the rear window brake light back up the way it was. (to the front circuit.

the radio doe not loose its settings, so it isn't a battery issue.

When we took it to the Hyundai dealer they replaced the brake switch and did the undercoating. The brake light switch did not help the brake light ( in the rear window).

it's definitely a short somewhere and not sure if I should just start replacing switches and wiring or just take it back to the dealer.

i do beleive the issues are separte issues , but maybe i am wrong and could be all from the same short. (iguess)

Old 07-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Sorry, don't have enough experience to troubleshoot this
However, would now be suspecting a bad ground
Even rodents eating away at the wires
Do a visual inspection for chewed/busted wires

Good luck

Old 07-10-2018, 02:02 PM

Were you able to do the fast check I suggested earlier , looking to see if any other lights are involved. It is a quick test and can reveal quite a bit of info.
I can suggest you do all sorts of tests and checks, but I have no idea of just what equipment you have to work with , so i suggest simple tests that do not require anything , but your eyes.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:12 PM

It's actually got to be more than 1 problem and 1 cause. These things are all separate unrelated issues.

"...my dash lights flicker when i turn them on..."

You are using the dash light dimmer to turn off the dash lights? Flicker is common when dimming LEDs (don't know for certain if these are LEDs).
Oxide which forms on the lamp socket contacts, and oxide on the base of the bulb itself, can cause intermittent contact. (if it is an incandescent bulb).

The dimmer pot can be cleaned internally with something like LPS-1 a non conductive lubricant. That may help....
(Deoxit G100 or Deoxit D100 etc)
The socket can be replaced or cleaned (sometimes an eraser will clean oxide off metal contacts) sand paper will take the plating off the metal (not good).
The bulb base can be cleaned up w scotch-brite metal cleaning pad, or buy a cleaner bulb, etc.
But the metal needs to be bright and shiny, un-oxidized contact surface.

Any time there is tarnish on the contact surface(s), it can cause headaches.

Last edited by ampmadscientist; 08-22-2018 at 10:16 PM.