Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2012 Accent Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 PM

Nova, I love your dedication! :-)

Old 01-15-2012, 04:47 PM

I am pleased to report the average MPG is improving! :-)

Old 01-16-2012, 03:47 PM

@SoCal,

Keep us updated on your mileage. I'm going to drive this tankful in "normal" mode. I'd been driving with so much attention to being careful about mileage, coasting, easy accelerations etc, that it was almost dangerous. I'll let you know whether or not there's improvement.
Thanks.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 AM

David, I added you as a friend on fuelly.com. I'm "Mr. Marathon".. or I think MattyT is my username.

As you can see, I'm averaging 30.9 mpg after 6 fillups. Not awful, but like many have said, I am having ZERO fun driving this car. Coasting, slow cornering, slow acceleration, slow up hills, etc. etc. I shudder to think what I'd be getting with eco off and old fun driving habits resumed (in fact there are a handful of Accent drivers on Fuelly in the 25-27 range. yikes).

I really ought to go on an extended drive up the coast on the PCH some day.. keep my speed right around 55 for a hundred miles and see what happens to my mileage. As it stands, most of my driving is traffic-light-stop-and-go-20-40mph city driving.

Another thing: that MPG computer is off by at least 1.5-2.5 mpg every single time I fill up. I'm so depressed by getting less real world mileage than what I think I'm getting that I have the display set to something meaningless.. like my trip miles or my average speed or something.

SoCal, I understand your angst, but the EPA tests all vehicles with the same procedures. Like Nova said. I have the feeling all these new Ford and Mazda drivers who are purchasing their latest vehicles boasting "up to" 40mpg will suffer similar disillusionment.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Default In the same boat.

[quote=SoCal, I understand your angst, but the EPA tests all vehicles with the same procedures. Like Nova said. I have the feeling all these new Ford and Mazda drivers who are purchasing their latest vehicles boasting "up to" 40mpg will suffer similar disillusionment.[/quote]

Yup, I am feeling the same as well. At this point, I am wishing Hyundai would have put in a 15 gal tank, at least then I could feel like I was going longer between fill ups because of better millage. As of right now, I am visiting the gas station with almost the same frequency as when I had the guzzlers, the only difference is I am not spending as much to fill the tank and the millage is about the same.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Here's a mid-winter update on my 2012 Accent (hatch w/auto), tracked miles over 19,000.
MPG from 7/25/11 - 12/7/11, 39.48MPG on 14,238 miles tracked.
MPG from 12/8/11 - 1/16/12 36.94MPG on 5,229 miles tracked with snow tires.

I found out how important aerodynamics are after hitting a raccoon and seeing about a 10% drop in MPG. The front bumper cover really didn't look that bad, missing cover were fog light would be installed (if I had any), and a 6-8 inch rip in the plastic. MPG returned to former levels after repairs.

The car is working great. I have two jobs which require me to travel almost 1,000 miles a week. My Accent is usually full and the back seats are almost always folded down and with the hatchback layout it's like my "mini" mini-van.

Oh, I'm trying a little experiment with the "ECO" feature. The first 19,000 tracked miles were with the "ECO" button on/engaged but I never liked how the car pulled away from a stop, jerky, kind of like someone who didn't know how to drive a manual shift. I plan to drive without "ECO" until at least mid-summer and compare to my previous MPG's. The car does "feel" much better at low speeds with the ECO off. I think I can use my brain and light foot to obtain the same MPG but time will tell.

I track my fuel-ups at 2012_Hyundai_ Accent-w/auto trans (Hyundai Accent) | Fuelly and there's another tread on the 2012 Accent and MPG at 2012 Hyundai Accent - Page 2 - CleanMPG Forums

Take care,

Bruce Brown
Le Roy, WV

Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 AM

Two other items to mention. My onboard computer calculated MPG is always about 3 mpg higher than my actual MPG. In other words, the dash says 43 mpg and my actual trip miles divided by my gallons at the pump equal 40 mpg. FYI, the highest readings of had over a tank of gas with the onboard MPG is in the 49's. Maybe low 50's will show up this spring after the snow tires are removed.

Second, if anyone wants to email directly it's tbb10785@hotmail.com

Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM

@tbb

Hi, your mileage is 25% greater than most. How do we account for that I wonder. As you can see most of us are just managing to get in the low 30's.
("Fuelly" is a sit that lets you compare mileages with other makes, etc.)

I, and we, want to hear more about how you're doing this. Thanks,

David

Old 01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DAVIDG
("Fuelly" is a sit that lets you compare mileages with other makes, etc.)
He knows that and tracks his economy there under the user name tbb10785:
Originally Posted by tbb10785

Originally Posted by DAVIDG
Hi, your mileage is 25% greater than most. How do we account for that I wonder. As you can see most of us are just managing to get in the low 30's.
I'm going to guess highway driving as opposed to city. Over 6 months, 19K miles and 70+ fuel-ups his average is 38.8-MPG averaging 77% highway driving. His best was 47.5-MPG on a trip that was 95% highway.

Last edited by NovaResource; 01-19-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:32 AM

I was going to educated-guess that tbb drives a lot of highway. This car isn't a hybrid, there's gonna be a significant difference between highway mpg and stop-and-go.. man and am I feeling that. I think this tank will be under 29mpg. I didn't have the occasion to do any highway driving whatsoever, and I've been sick and tired of driving like there's a carton of eggs on my roof.

Quick Reply: 2012 Accent Fuel Economy