Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2017 Accent Hatchback Intermittent TCS Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 07:41 PM
Default Intermittent Solid TCS Light. No Codes Stored in ABS.

Hello,
I have a 2017 Hyundai Accent Hatchback with about 90k miles. I have an on going issue with my Traction Control light coming on and staying on. I've tried replicating the issue to no avail.

Usually it will come on after driving to work when I turn into the parking lot. It will stay on until I drive at highway speed for around 5 or 10 miles then it shuts off. It doesn't cause any major driving malfunctions. The car drives the same with or without this light on. Its just all around random but the only patterns I can seem to find is:
  • TCS Light more likely to kick on in cooler weather usually below 40°F
  • Also after a ~90° turn at below 40mph speed (such as turning into my work lot)
  • Sometimes stays on after a wheel slip like when my driveway is icy or snow covered.
  • It is only the TCS light that stays on. No ABS or Brake lights illuminate on the dash.
I also would like to add this car was a dealer loaner before I got it. I read that sometimes if a dealer had a gps/kill switch installed it can mess with the TCS system because of the wiring harness they attach (im not so sure about this i don't see any sort of extra wiring near my fuse panel like they had described).
Also I don't think brake switch is an issue because it doesn't have any symptoms of the brake switch issue such as no brake lights, no difficulty putting the car in gear' etc.

My best guess is its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors but I cant find out which one. If they were cheaper I would just replace all four.

I've been trying to diagnose the problem. First I bought a OBD2 reader but it just shows MIL codes and basic data. Then I purchased a bluetooth OBD2 dongle that reads all systems. However when I checked it didn't show any codes. So I drove around and see if I can trip the TCS Light. It didn't come on at all of course lol. Im hoping that once the TCS light comes on again I can pull a code from the ABS system.
If not idk what to do. Maybe jack up the car and test each sensor with a multimeter?

Has anybody had this issue? Do you have any recommendations on how I can find the cause of this issue?

Last edited by JamesMc; 01-16-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:55 PM

Yes, there is hope here !
What needs to be done is; a capable scan tool with the graphing function will record and show which wheel sensor signal is dropping out
It can get quite expensive and possibly disappointing replacing a lot of good parts and still have the problem, especially if it is a wiring problem.
A good shop with a competent tech will be able to do the diagnosis. It may take a while for the problem to show up, but that is what the job is all about.
You would most likely come out ahead in the long run.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Yes, there is hope here !
What needs to be done is; a capable scan tool with the graphing function will record and show which wheel sensor signal is dropping out
It can get quite expensive and possibly disappointing replacing a lot of good parts and still have the problem, especially if it is a wiring problem.
A good shop with a competent tech will be able to do the diagnosis. It may take a while for the problem to show up, but that is what the job is all about.
You would most likely come out ahead in the long run.
True. I've called a few shops and they say they charge around $100 for a diagnostic test. I seen where I can get all 4 oem speed sensors for $120-140. Ill call some more shops but I might be ahead to just replace them all lol
EDIT: I have to drive to town tomorrow. If the TCS light comes on hopefully I can pull a code. I seen a forum that says I could possibly test each sensor with a multimeter.

Last edited by JamesMc; 01-15-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:47 PM

Ok so I just checked codes again with the TCS light on and no fault codes stored. I checked the front WSS and they looked good aside from some gravel dust. Couldn't check the back WSS because I would need to jack up car and take tires off. I also checked to make sure brake lights were working properly while the TCS light was on and they work just fine. So im ruling out brake switch. I think my last option may be just testing each WSS manually this spring when it warms up.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:57 PM

What about this?
If,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you decide to check with a meter and at the time you are checking the supposed problem sensor is functioning normally? Now you might have passed a problem sensor and you did not confirm there is no wiring problem, UNLESS you check it back at the ABS unit, no fun !
The capable scan tool can do this for you .
If you want to , you can keep busy and change all the sensors and you could be right, but what if after you invested all that time and $$$ and still have the problem, lets hope not, OK. What do you think?