Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2017 Hyundai Accent SE Hatchback Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 07:05 PM
Default 2017 Hyundai Accent SE Hatchback Questions

Hey! Glad to see Hyundai has forums similar to what I used for my old Saturn. Anyways I traded my Saturn in on 2017 Hyundai Accent SE Hatchback. So far so good. Like the car. Anyways I was wondering what kind of oil and filter you'd recommend for the Accent? I usually used Castrol in the Saturn but Im not sure what these Hyundai's seem to "like". Also I've noticed if I make a sharp turn (like a U turn) my traction control light will usually stay on until i get about 10 miles down the highway. I've seen a couple forums saying its a bad sensor.
and if there's any tips to get the most out of my hyundai please let me know. I got 350k out of my last car would love to do the same with the Hyundai lol.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:28 AM

Sometimes when the info coming into the computer from various sensors is not correct, the computer will generate a pending code and if the fault is repeated it will illuminate a warning lite on the dash. There is a pretty good chance one of the wheel speed sensors is not providing accurate or correct info. If it has generated a code, the code will tell you which wheel is having the problem. If you can get the code , it will usually provide some direction. Places like Autozone will do this for you at no charge. If you decide to do this , post the code here and we should be able to offer some suggestions to help get the problem cleared up, thanks.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:17 AM

Sorry, I'm new to this forum stuff and not sure where to go to ask my question. So, I'm hoping this is ok...

I drive a 2017 Accent Hatchback SE, and once the weather starts to get colder I have trouble starting my car. I've checked and changed the battery, so that's working fine. But when I go to start my car, the lights, radio, etc come on but all I hear is a clicking noise. One day I got so frustrated that I literally banged on my steering wheel and all of a sudden my car started. The next time it happened, I did the same thing - bang on my steering wheel and it started.

Does this mean I have an issue with my starter OR ignition switch?

Old 10-23-2023, 01:35 PM

Sounds like a wire or something loose in the ignition switch or just bad Ignition switch. I've never cracked into mine so I wouldn't know what to look for. But by banging on the steering wheel I'd say the "percussive maintenance" is allowing some sort of connection to be made lol.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by JamesMc
Sounds like a wire or something loose in the ignition switch or just bad Ignition switch. I've never cracked into mine so I wouldn't know what to look for. But by banging on the steering wheel I'd say the "percussive maintenance" is allowing some sort of connection to be made lol.
LOL "percussive maintenance". I've gotta use that with my mechanic hahaha. Thanks James, I'll get him to check the wiring.
Another question I have is all my other cars would give me a code if ever the check maintenance light came on. Sadly, my Hyundai doesn't. I had been getting the check engine light on for months and each time I took my car in, it was the catalytic converter code. They would clear the code and tell me it's ok to drive but it would keep coming on and I don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere not knowing if it's just the catalytic again or a more serious issue. So, I had the catalytic converter changed a few months ago. Unnecessary expense, I know, but if the car gave an actual code that I could look up, I would've just lived with it. Anyway, a couple weeks ago, the check engine light came on again. I brought it into my mechanic and it was the catalytic code again. He said to fill my gas with the highest octane just 1 time and that should help. I did and it seemed to work, but then the light came on a week later and disappeared the next day.

So, is this still the catalytic converter - even tho it's brand new - OR is this something else? I can't afford to keep going to the mechanic and winter is coming so I don't want to be stuck in the snow. Ironically, this is my favorite car out of all that I've had, but it's also been the most expensive. So frustrated!

Old 10-23-2023, 03:56 PM

TL;DR:
  • Spark Plugs might be your issue.
  • Getting a cheap OBD2 Code reader to keep in your car would be a good idea (if you don't have one already) Will save money on trips to the shop and you can clear minor codes yourself. The have Bluetooth ones that can connect right to your phone. They're awesome.
  • Could also be the O2 sensors themselves, but I'd put my money on spark plugs.

I actually have had some experience with that issue regarding the car in the past couple months. I'm guessing the code you were receiving was something similar to "catalytic converter Bank below threshold"?

​​​ I don't remember the exact code off the top of my head.

My issue was that my coil pack 1 gone out one day on my way to work. I believe it threw a p0401 code. Telling me there was a misfire on cylinder one. This was due to a worn out spark plug that have become gapped. The next day cylinder 2 coil pack went out so I changed it and at that time I changed all the spark plugs. Then I had noticed the car was still running a little sluggish and I was getting the the catalytic converter below threshold code. So I knew spark plugs were good, so I did the same thing by running high octane that way the heat would dry out any unburnt fuel that might be clogging up my catalytic converter.
Then I bought a cheap four pack of ignition coils for my car and changed out cylinder 3 and 4. So that way I know the car has all new coils and plugs.
​​ I haven't had any issues since, knock on wood lol.

So my best guess would be worn out spark plugs not burning the fuel and the O2 sensor throwing codes about your fuel mixture. Or it could be the oxygen sensors themselves.

I would recommend changing the spark plugs, or at the very least have them inspected to see how worn they are.
Also if you don't have one already I definitely recommend getting a cheap code reader. I have a Bluetooth one that I connect to my phone that way I can check my own codes and clear them myself. I know where I'm at in Missouri they charge generally $80 to $150 for diagnostics. So having a code reader in your car whenever you need to use it will save you money in the long run.
I don't know if the spark plugs will help with your problem, but I suspect that may be the issue. I've added some links for the parts I bought at the bottom of this reply. The spark plugs and coil packs were both really easy to change they took like an hour to do them both

Autolite Iridium XP Automotive...
Amazon Amazon

A-Premium Ignition Coil Pack Set...
Amazon Amazon

Sorry for the poor grammar and punctuation, I'm doing voice to text on my way home.

Last edited by JamesMc; 10-23-2023 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:48 AM

There is something going on with the engine. Converters don't just go bad, there is a reason and your mechanic either does not know what to check or just is not looking further. Might be time to find another shop.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by JamesMc
TL;DR:
  • Spark Plugs might be your issue.
  • Getting a cheap OBD2 Code reader to keep in your car would be a good idea (if you don't have one already) Will save money on trips to the shop and you can clear minor codes yourself. The have Bluetooth ones that can connect right to your phone. They're awesome.
  • Could also be the O2 sensors themselves, but I'd put my money on spark plugs.

I actually have had some experience with that issue regarding the car in the past couple months. I'm guessing the code you were receiving was something similar to "catalytic converter Bank below threshold"?

​​​ I don't remember the exact code off the top of my head.

My issue was that my coil pack 1 gone out one day on my way to work. I believe it threw a p0401 code. Telling me there was a misfire on cylinder one. This was due to a worn out spark plug that have become gapped. The next day cylinder 2 coil pack went out so I changed it and at that time I changed all the spark plugs. Then I had noticed the car was still running a little sluggish and I was getting the the catalytic converter below threshold code. So I knew spark plugs were good, so I did the same thing by running high octane that way the heat would dry out any unburnt fuel that might be clogging up my catalytic converter.
Then I bought a cheap four pack of ignition coils for my car and changed out cylinder 3 and 4. So that way I know the car has all new coils and plugs.
​​ I haven't had any issues since, knock on wood lol.

So my best guess would be worn out spark plugs not burning the fuel and the O2 sensor throwing codes about your fuel mixture. Or it could be the oxygen sensors themselves.

I would recommend changing the spark plugs, or at the very least have them inspected to see how worn they are.
Also if you don't have one already I definitely recommend getting a cheap code reader. I have a Bluetooth one that I connect to my phone that way I can check my own codes and clear them myself. I know where I'm at in Missouri they charge generally $80 to $150 for diagnostics. So having a code reader in your car whenever you need to use it will save you money in the long run.
I don't know if the spark plugs will help with your problem, but I suspect that may be the issue. I've added some links for the parts I bought at the bottom of this reply. The spark plugs and coil packs were both really easy to change they took like an hour to do them both

Autolite Iridium XP Automotive... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JKF9YB...p_mob_ap_share

A-Premium Ignition Coil Pack Set... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CR4ZBNZ...p_mob_ap_share

Sorry for the poor grammar and punctuation, I'm doing voice to text on my way home.
Thanks again, James. I appreciate the help

Old 10-24-2023, 10:54 AM

Hi Hanky,

This is the first time I've ever had a converter issue with any of my cars. But I bought this one used in 2019 (it's a 2017) from a dealership. They said that they got it from a car rental place and that it had been in a minor fender-bender. The car drove fine when I was testing it, but I wonder if they weren't completely upfront about the fender-bender...?
What in the engine would cause the converter code to come on? I've brought it to 2 different mechanics and both have said the same thing. It's not easy being a woman in a mechanic shop. That's why I like to do my own research first so I can at least look like I know what I'm talking about LOL

Old 10-24-2023, 12:18 PM

Hi Connie,
This is a good place to learn. The only problem is you kinda have to read it everyday, lol.

There are a few things that can influence converter longevity among which are engine running too rich for a long time , which causes the converter to overheat attempting to clean up the exhaust. Some can get so hot trying to do this that they actually melt inside. Sometimes that causes a restriction in the exhaust which can affect power output from the engine.
A little FYI, the converter has to have extra oxygen added to clean up hydrocarbons and a lean mixture to reduce oxides of nitrogen.
This is accomplished by the oxygen sensors on the engine exhaust which cause the mixture to continuously change from rich to lean
These functions can be verified with special tools to observe oxygen sensor function.
Now you probably know more than your mechanic,lol.
Something we learned a long time ago , and that was the dumbest question is the one that is not asked, so keep learning.

Quick Reply: 2017 Hyundai Accent SE Hatchback Questions