Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2017 Hyundai Accent SE Hatchback Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Hi Connie,
This is a good place to learn. The only problem is you kinda have to read it everyday, lol.

There are a few things that can influence converter longevity among which are engine running too rich for a long time , which causes the converter to overheat attempting to clean up the exhaust. Some can get so hot trying to do this that they actually melt inside. Sometimes that causes a restriction in the exhaust which can affect power output from the engine.
A little FYI, the converter has to have extra oxygen added to clean up hydrocarbons and a lean mixture to reduce oxides of nitrogen.
This is accomplished by the oxygen sensors on the engine exhaust which cause the mixture to continuously change from rich to lean
These functions can be verified with special tools to observe oxygen sensor function.
Now you probably know more than your mechanic,lol.
Something we learned a long time ago , and that was the dumbest question is the one that is not asked, so keep learning.
Wow thanks for explaining this, hanky! I had no idea that the heat could actually melt the inside of the converter. But after your explanation it really makes sense. Personally, I haven't had any cat code issue since changing my plugs and coils. But is there a way I could test my cat to make sure it's functioning properly if I end up with a cat code again in the future?

I'm debating on just trading in my Accent in about a year once I'm not so upside down. It has 175k miles on it and even though my shade tree tune up helped it regain some of the power it once had the old car still doesn't run like it used to.

Old 10-25-2023, 05:23 AM

Quality cat converters are not cheap.

What should be done here is to check all the info coming into the computer so the converter doesn't constantly get blamed for something it cannot control.

It's kinda like your doctor looking at your blood work and determining where there is a problem.
Your mechanic needs to know what is normal and what is not. Some tools out there do some of this for the mechanic, but there is no substitute for knowing how the system works and when something is not right.
One of the bits of info that gets examined is called "Data Stream Info". This includes certain functions and the readings they provide..

With high mileage, parts wear and power output drops. Many times some of these parts can be replaced and power output returns.
A lot depends on how attached you are to the vehicle, it's condition and there are times it is much less expensive to repair the vehicle versus new car payments.

Last edited by hanky; 10-25-2023 at 05:35 AM.