Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2017 Hyundai Accent SE Hatchback Weird Issue (Dash lights all came on while driving)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 01:37 AM

Hi.
my wife had the exact same issue last night when driving.
I used to own a ford focus and it also had the same issue and got to the stage where fuel and temp gauges stopped working.
I fixed it by replacing the instrument cluster as the connection terminals were getting water in there as we live in a part of the world where we get really bad humidity.
going to start there with the accent and see how it goes.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bearded degenerate
Hi.
my wife had the exact same issue last night when driving.
I used to own a ford focus and it also had the same issue and got to the stage where fuel and temp gauges stopped working.
I fixed it by replacing the instrument cluster as the connection terminals were getting water in there as we live in a part of the world where we get really bad humidity.
going to start there with the accent and see how it goes.
Check your battery also. When the dash flicker happened was the time I started getting symptoms of a bad cell in my battery (Randomly draining, hard starts, etc.) Two months later the battery died completely. Installed new one and works great. No more electrical issues.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:47 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by JamesMc
Hey all!
So while driving today on the highway all of a sudden every warning light on the dash came on and trip meter and mpg reset. I was going about 75mph, cruise and eco mode were on. I was listening to the radio. Nothing cut out, no engine sputter, just like a dash reset.
This kinda worried me as about two or three weeks ago I went to start my car and the battery was dead. Not dead just barely not enough juice to start. I had to jump start it. Then worked just fine. Till now.
Anyways after the dash situation I took it to AutoZone and had someone test it. They said the alternator failed. But I have to mention they literally had to ask me which one was the positive and negative battery cable. So we started the engine and it didn't read any increase in voltage so it said failed. Engine was pretty warm so when it started it just want to 500-700 like normal. So again kinda nervous, priced the alt and oh damn.
So went from there to Walmart. Figured if it dont start, id call the roadside assistance. It started just fine. I shut it off then checked the battery and it said 12 (my old fluke multimeter doesnt have a decimal). So i started it and at idle it read 13. Hmmm seems weak. But ok try and drive home.
Drove home this time with lights on, blower on 2 and sat radio on. Car ran just fine. I dont get it.
so when I got home I decided Id test again. This time Ill rev the engine some and hold it at 1500rpm. Because I had to get my rpm over 1000 on another car i had.
So holding it between 1.5k and 2k rpm the multimeter read 14. Tried ir with lights on, ac on, radio on, door open, you name it. The voltage didn't change at all while flicking all that on and off.
I also want to add the drive home is a 25 mile trip. Last time I had an alternator go out I barely made it that far.
Im so confused. Im thinking why would the dash reset it self but car work fine? Is this related to the dead battery type issue? I have no clue.
Anybody anywhere have any clue of what else i can check? Or what might be going on?

2017 Hyundai Accent SE Hatchback
61XXX miles

Hey, thanks for sharing. The SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME TODAY!! It is so weird. I was just wondering if it got figured out and if so what were the solutions. I drive a 2016 hatchback accent.

Thank you!

Old 08-27-2021, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by hatchbackhyundai
Hey, thanks for sharing. The SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME TODAY!! It is so weird. I was just wondering if it got figured out and if so what were the solutions. I drive a 2016 hatchback accent.

Thank you!
One thing I checked and seemed to fix some of my electrical issues (knock on wood) was my battery. The batt that was in it was smaller than Hyundai recommends. About two months later my old (too small) battery developed a dead cell. I don't remember the group size or the cca of the old battery. But I went to O'Reilly bought the right battery Hyundai recommends and then alot of my issues stopped. Probably was just a fluke but worth checking. I haven't had this dash light issue. And also some of electrical components started working better like dome lights and blower speed. It also turns over less when cold starting.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:10 PM

One thing I checked and seemed to fix some of my electrical issues (knock on wood) was my battery. The batt that was in it was smaller than Hyundai recommends. About two months later my old (too small) battery developed a dead cell. I don't remember the group size or the cca of the old battery. But I went to O'Reilly bought the right battery Hyundai recommends and then alot of my issues stopped. Probably was just a fluke but worth checking. I haven't had this dash light issue. And also some of electrical components started working better like dome lights and blower speed. It also turns over less when cold starting.
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it!

Old 08-27-2021, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by hatchbackhyundai
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it!
You're welcome. It's worth a shot to get your battery tested. And if your battery is around 5 years old it may be time to go ahead and replace.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:25 AM

The exact same symptoms just happened to me. 2016 Accent. I was driving highway speeds with cruise control on, lights, radio, and blower. The dash went dark and the tac and speedometer dropped to zero. All the trouble lights flashed once. All the trip odometers reset. Then it went back to normal. The cruise control was even still set. There was no change in the motor, speed, or steering during the whole sequence.
Just the dash disappeared, tac and speed went to 0, flashed all the lights, and then started again.
Has anyone figured this out yet?
This linked thread to another forum is 7 years old and people are still posting the exact same thing happening. Is there a TSB somewhere? I emailed Hyundai corporate but have not heard back. Reddit has also not answered the question. Other than checking the battery and connections has anyone solved this?

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threa...2#post-6251273
Forum thread

Old 12-01-2023, 12:33 PM

As far as I know this is still unsolved to the exact cause. With mine I replaced my battery and some of my electronics started working a bit better. However I think it may be some sort of ECU reset that happened. Within a week after this happened my battery shown signs of a dead cell. Plus the battery that was in it when I bought it was a smaller group size and smaller CCA than recommend. After getting new battery of the right specs I haven't had this issue in roughly 100k miles. Might just be a one time situation. But I really think it was the ECU resetting.

Old 12-01-2023, 12:34 PM

If Hyundai gets back in touch with you please post the update

Old 12-07-2023, 07:50 AM

If Hyundai gets back in touch with you please post the update
I'm corresponding with them now and will update if they have anything useful or useless to say about it.
Update: Emailing took a week for them to tell me to go the dealership. That's it. Not planning on taking it in at the moment.

Last edited by Brossi; 12-13-2023 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Update

Quick Reply: 2017 Hyundai Accent SE Hatchback Weird Issue (Dash lights all came on while driving)