Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Accent Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Default Accent Dash Lights

Hi, my daughter bought a used 2001 Accent GSI. The dash lights are so dim that you cant actually see the dials at night. The dimmer switch works just fine, and I removed the cluster to check the bulbs. There are only 2 bulbs (have a green rubbery coating), and they both work just fine. I slipped the rubbers off the bulbs, and that only made a tiny difference.

The car has white gauge faces, and was wondering if that is stock....it would seem that once the black bezel is put back on the cluster, there is no way for light to actually light up the gauges.

Again there is no problem with the bulbs they are actually very bright, the light just doesnt get thru to light up the gauge faces, so I am thinking these are not the stock faces and are not allowing any light thru them.

Anyone had such an issue?

Cheers

Old 11-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Default RE: Accent Dash Lights

A bit of an update on this problem:

Once in awhile all of a sudden the dash completely lights up, even though you could tell the bulbs were already on. I bypassed the dimmer switch to eliminate that, but the problem persists. If I start the engine, it seems the lights will come on to the point that you can actually see the instruments nicely. Whilst they are on, there is occassional minor flickering. I have cleaned all plug connections, and even added an additional ground to no avail. After a few minutes, the lights go dim. I dont think there is a real connection to having the engine running, as it does it "less frequently" with the engine off.

I now note that the gauge faces are lit themselves, and these are the lights that are being intermittant. The two bulbs in the back side of the pod are not the problem. I am suspecting the inverter that is behind the gauges (inside the pod).

I dont have a Hyundai dealer closeby, so it will be a day or two before I can pick up an inverter and try that.

Cheers,

Rick in Canada

Old 12-19-2008, 12:26 PM

Hyundai wanted a 160 clams for a dash light invertor...geez

Picked up a complete instrument panel on EBay for 27 bucks.

Works likea charm.

cheers

Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 PM

right on!