Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Car Won't Start Diagnostic Help- Crankshaft Position Sensor - 2014 Hyundai Accent

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 10:39 PM
Red face Car Won't Start Diagnostic Help- Crankshaft Position Sensor - 2014 Hyundai Accent

2014 Hyundai Accent - 1.6 L 4 cylinder Hatchback.
Here is a timeline of my problems and what I've done so far. I could use some help with the diagnosis.
If you want to skip, just read the point 10 -
I'm curious as to why it repeatedly cranks but won't start

1 - Had issues where my car would crank for too long then start.
2 - Eventually it would sometimes not start at all or I would have to wait 30 min after trying. This primarily happened after I parked outside, (usually park in a garage)
3 - The error code was P0335
4 - I ordered this part off amazon " Genuine Hyundai 39180-2B000 Crankshaft Position Sensor" for $30. When I installed it I got error code P0336.
5 - After installing and running it the car would start, take a while to crank and keep the engine light on.
6 - I tried reinstalling to see if the engine light would go away and not take a while to crank. It ended up just not turning on.
7 - Reinstalled the old crankshaft and finally it would start again but similar issues (again P0335 error). Brought it to a mechanic but it was 4pm and they didn't want to help (understandable).
8 - Car was dying on the way back home, the only way it could start is if you give gas while starting it (for 1-2 min), if you didn't it would just shut off and give out.
9 - Ordered a "proper" crankshaft position sensor from a car parts store. It was the alternative to the OEM Blue Streaks PC934 one, this one was the T-Series Economy version for $65.
10 - Now when I start the car with the new crankshaft it cranks repeatedly within just a few seconds.
11 - I tried doing a hard reset on the car but that didn't help

Tomorrow I will most likely try to put my old cps back in and see if the car will start. If it does, would that mean the crankshaft I bought is faulty, or possibly there is something else within the electrical/computer I have to setup to synchronize the timing?
If it's not the crankshaft then what are some other issues I should be diagnosing?
After reading https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/crank-no-start-getting-fuel-getting-fire-new-crankshaft-sensor.324338/ I am considering to try the Fuel then Emissions chapter someone recommend in the comments.
I have videos I've recorded and can upload to youtube if that's any help, please let me know.

Last edited by privacyterms; 01-10-2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:57 AM

Can understand wanting to help yourself, but without the necessary equip , you cannot do a worthwhile diagnosis.

How many miles are on this vehicle?

Just because you received a crank sensor code does not mean the sensor is the problem.
All the code tells us is, the system with a problem and not necessarily the component itself. It could be a wiring connection problem, or even a problem with the signal not getting to where it is supposed to go.
Lets see what the mileage is before venturing any further, OK ?

Old 01-11-2023, 12:04 PM

108,000 km

yea I realized that as well from researching. What’s interesting though is how the old and new crankshaft gave different errors. If it was wiring I have a feeling it would’ve consisted with the same issue/ error code.

Originally Posted by hanky
Can understand wanting to help yourself, but without the necessary equip , you cannot do a worthwhile diagnosis.

How many miles are on this vehicle?

Just because you received a crank sensor code does not mean the sensor is the problem.
All the code tells us is, the system with a problem and not necessarily the component itself. It could be a wiring connection problem, or even a problem with the signal not getting to where it is supposed to go.
Lets see what the mileage is before venturing any further, OK ?

Old 01-11-2023, 01:42 PM

I've fixed it, quite silly on my end but it's because I was distracted by other bigger problems. The main point is check over your steps, makes sure your wiring and bolts are clean and fully locked in. Here's more info;
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threa...accent.700284/