Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

03 Sonata 2.4L wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Default 03 Sonata 2.4L wont start

I've changed the timing belt because there was 3 areas that had 2 to 3 teeth missing.. when i got it all tore apart, i seen the balancing belt was shredded.. so i changed that, along with the crankshaft sensor.. purchased a brand new fuel pump assembly.. installed that also.. timing is dead on, after i noticed it was off 2 teeth, and one tooth on the crankshaft sprockets..

car has spark I imagine since it would try to fire when i sprayed starting fluid in the area where the throttle body is..

do i have to clear any codes that the car might have? the check engine light is on when i try to start the car..just wondering if the code was there for the crankshaft sensor, would i need to have the cleared in order for the car to start? or would it automatically know that that isn't bad anymore?

I don't think there was any damage to any internal part since the timing belt didn't actually break..and when i try to turn it over, I'm not hearing anything that would indicate other wise..

compression test i did..

cylinder one: went up to about 100, and was climbing real slow

cylinder two: went to about 180 within about 6 revolutions

cylinder three: went to about 180 within about 6 revolutions

cylinder four: went up to about 100, and was climbing real slow

I don't have a code reader, but was wonder if one would read codes if the car doesn't actually "start"..

this was all after my wife was driving down the road at 35 mph..and the car just shut off on her, on xmas of course..

well. I went and got a scanner, turned the key on..and P0335 came up...which is "CrankShaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction"

now... i took the old one out already.. put a brand new one in..and its telling me that that same exact part is bad? seriously? I'll go postal on somebody at autozone if they sold me a defective part, and made me waste 2 days (1 of which i scratched my a** and procrastinated)

I erased the code, and tried again, and the same code P0335 came up...ugh!!

noticed that the blade was bent a little bit, and got it pretty straight..put in another new crankshaft position sensor, and then cleared the codes, only to see the code P0335 pop up again... is the blade that precise that if is bent .002 out or it it won't work? waiting on a new one to get here the 3rd since nobody has these in stock.

one last question...or 2

do the blades on the crankshaft position blade ride thru the slot on the crankshaft position sensor, or do the blades ride under the whole position sensor? seems weird looking at the position sensor, and seeing what looks like a notch that the blade "would" ride thru.. if i put the blade in that slot, i can feel the magnet pull on the blade..if I put the blade under the position sensor, there is no magnetic pull on the blade.. i imagine it rides under..or else i have issues with some sort of spacer missing..

is it possible to screw up finding the TDC of the compression stroke if your trying to find it with the timing belt off?

both the intake and exhaust cam sprockets are pointing towards their respective timing marks..well close (1 or 2 teeth off) as it seems impossible to get them to point directly at the marks with no timing belt on..

but if I just turn the crank sprocket so its pointing at the timing mark, will it always be the compression stroke regardless of how many times I turn the crankshaft sprocket, as long as the camsprockets are still pointing at the timing mark?

Last edited by Yngwie Lesso; 12-31-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

If the engine died while driving and a "few teeth are missing" then I fairly sure some valves hit pistons and caused internal damage. Are you sure the timing is correct?

Last edited by NovaResource; 01-02-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
If the engine died while driving and a "few teeth are missing" then I fairly sure some valves hit pistons and caused internal damage. Are you sure the timing is correct?
100% sure..

#1 cylinder was TDC, both intake and exhaust valves were closed, balancing timing mark dead on, crankshaft mark dead on, oil balancing shaft dead on..used the side bolt hole to make sure the oil shaft balancing shaft didn't turn..

replaced all belts, crankshaft position sensor, and trigger plate..but the car just cranks.. if I spray starting fluid into the throttle body, it will sputter as if it wants to turn over.. but still keep getting the error code P0335.. erase it, and it comes back (did this 10 times)

Last edited by NovaResource; 01-02-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM

Amazing... it is actually possible to put the crankshaft sensor in upside down..guess i need to pay more attention to the fine details..car runs like the day we purchased it..perfect, and purrs..

Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Nice job. Glad glad nothing was damaged.