Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Catalytic Converter Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 10:50 AM
Default Catalytic Converter Assembly

Hi all, my 2008 Accent has a blocked cat and I need to replace it to pass inspection. According to my mechanic, a new factory part will cost close to a grand, the total cost would be ~$1700 which makes the repair not worth it. I'm in NY so it's illegal to install an aftermarket cat. I was thinking maybe I can buy a used factory part, that should save me a couple hundred and still be legal.

My mechanic told me I need to replace the entire converter assembly, two sensors and some of the soft tube attached (this he said is cheap). I see a couple of used catalytic converters for sale on eBay, but I wanna make sure I get all the parts I need. Aside from the cat itself what else is included in the assembly? And any idea what the two sensors he's referring to are? I'm guessing one is an O2 sensor? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 11-30-2019, 11:02 AM

Don't know what the mechanic is talking about.
In New York State, the catalytic converter needs to be CARB or California Air resource Board compliant.
It really needs to be installed by a registered mechanic shop who can do all the paper work necessary.
Most auto parts store won't even sell a CARB cat to customers. So even if you can do it yourself, you can not buy one.
You may need to either sell the car or find a cheaper mechanic. Sorry, I had similar problem.
Spent the money to fix it and less than a year, had to get rid of vehicle due to so much rust.
No help here.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Don't know what the mechanic is talking about.
In New York State, the catalytic converter needs to be CARB or California Air resource Board compliant.
It really needs to be installed by a registered mechanic shop who can do all the paper work necessary.
Most auto parts store won't even sell a CARB cat to customers. So even if you can do it yourself, you can not buy one.
You may need to either sell the car or find a cheaper mechanic. Sorry, I had similar problem.
Spent the money to fix it and less than a year, had to get rid of vehicle due to so much rust.
No help here.
Thanks for the quick reply. If I understand you correctly, what you're saying is even if I can buy a used cat off eBay it won't be considered CARB compliant? That's a bummer but definitely good to know. I'm certainly considering just selling the car, but I wanted to weigh my options. Thanks for your help and sorry about your car, I just moved to upstate NY a couple of years ago, the salt on these roads are brutal on cars.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:39 PM

No, if you can buy a cat on Ebay then you must make sure it is CARB compliant.
No way to know unless you ask seller.
Keep looking. Maybe you'll find something?
A used cat? IDK.

And, yes, live here in Albany and they are throwing salt at everything when it snows