Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Hyundai Accent G4ea 2000 Wont start in the mornings

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 05:23 AM

I never hurts to get other ideas.
I do have a question or two.
First , find out what the wife did when she got it started.
Compression is pretty much the same at 6AM and 10 AM.
The right way to start a carbureted engine when cold ? If it has an automatic choke, Is to step on the accelerator pedal once to allow the automatic choke to set , then go start the engine
We sure are getting different points of view and they are worth checking out.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:39 AM

If the dealer's test of compression on the cylinders are correct then no choke linkages or springs will help
The thread starter did not say the engine did not crank
But, he did replace the starter. Then said it will not start.
Does that mean it cranks but does not start??
Or no crank and no start??

With so little information, I just leave it to the owner to take care of his own vehicle
Nothing else to say when the owner does not come back to update thread

Old 06-23-2020, 07:46 AM

True,not enough info, but dealers like to make lots of money, and are rarely looking to save a customer money. I would love to know the numbers compression a little low, or a lot low, it makes a difference.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:27 AM

OOps, Every time we get the dealership involved, you know it is gonna cost $$$.

How do you explain the gent can't get it started at approx 6AM (early morning) , but wife can get it started at approx. 10 AM(late morning) I don't think compression was the real problem.

In addition, if the power to the starter is limited, the engine will spin over slower and , there goes the compression.

Last edited by hanky; 06-23-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:22 PM

Hanky, you know that you got to be there to see what is going on.
Many times the owner comes here expecting miracles
Give a symptom and expect a cure??
You know how many things could go wrong in a no start
And especially an intermittent no start

Owner came back to say dealer found the problem
What are we to do? Argue with him?

Old 06-24-2020, 05:33 AM

Hi avisitor,
Thank you for reminding me.
You have been with this forum a lot longer then I and we do the best we can to offer some helpful info and tips.
A lot of folks have no idea what is going on with their vehicle and hope to get another opinion that might save them some $$$. They check here to see if what they are told is correct . Most have no knowledge or equip to do anymore than inquire.From being in the field we have some idea what is taking place and have to be careful we don't give bad suggestions. As you have noticed , most don't come back to share the correction with the rest of the members. You are certainly correct and I agree with you . WE tell them what we think will help and they will do what ,they will do. It's nice to be right once in a while especially after we have been burned or stepped in it so many times.. Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
I never hurts to get other ideas.
I do have a question or two.
First , find out what the wife did when she got it started.
Compression is pretty much the same at 6AM and 10 AM.
The right way to start a carbureted engine when cold ? If it has an automatic choke, Is to step on the accelerator pedal once to allow the automatic choke to set , then go start the engine
We sure are getting different points of view and they are worth checking out.
Hi guys sorry been offline, I struggle to get my post I ended up using the link from the email notification anyways my wife would just start the vehicle after accelerating 3 times before starting. The car was having issues suddenly like my exhaust had black particles of burnt oil and it was lacking power.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Hi avisitor,
Thank you for reminding me.
You have been with this forum a lot longer then I and we do the best we can to offer some helpful info and tips.
A lot of folks have no idea what is going on with their vehicle and hope to get another opinion that might save them some $$$. They check here to see if what they are told is correct . Most have no knowledge or equip to do anymore than inquire.From being in the field we have some idea what is taking place and have to be careful we don't give bad suggestions. As you have noticed , most don't come back to share the correction with the rest of the members. You are certainly correct and I agree with you . WE tell them what we think will help and they will do what ,they will do. It's nice to be right once in a while especially after we have been burned or stepped in it so many times.. Thanks again for your help.
My car just got back from the dealership, it's now driving different and smoothly but I still need to see what happens in the morning. I have paid 6500 South Afrrican Rands which is about $400. They did serviced my carburetor but they highlighted I need to get a chock as mine is damaged or not working properly but for now I shouldn't have morning issues though it's winter.
Hanky this platform was helpful I could give the dealer insights that's worked for me. I do not know if its allowed on this platform to get like an old members whatsapp number. I loove my car and i am looking at changing a number of things like seats

Last edited by Mcsalim; 06-24-2020 at 02:40 PM.