Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

loud clicking on starup with 01 Accent

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Default loud clicking on starup with 01 Accent

I have a 2001 Accent that has just recently making this loud clicking sound for the first 5 -15 seconds after startup; it sounds like a loud diesel engine. Also, once in a while I will here it while driving; I have had this car since it had 49k on it and it now has 101k on it and this just started happening maybe two months ago. Is this a noisy injector or is it something to do with the valve train? Do I need to perform a valve adjustment on this car? I have been going nuts trying to find a repair manual for this car but it does not seem to exist. Any ideas would be appreciated; I heavily rely on this car for personal and business use and this is making me nervous; I want to fix it.

Treavor

Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Default RE: loud clicking on starup with 01 Accent

sounds like something in the valves..might need to adjust the valve lash. Is is a Click like your clicking a pen, or is it a tap, like your taping on a desk with you finger. IF you think its more like a tap, it could be slop in your pistons......

Old 12-17-2008, 01:02 PM

sometimes when you go to places like jiffy lube to change the oil, they push the oil nozzle too far down in the valve cover causing the little piece of metal to touch the cam lobe. remove the oil cap and use a hook tool and pull that metal up.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:14 PM

I do not use Jiffy Lube or any of those places; I do not trust them, I do my oil changes and tube ups myself.

I do not have a complete repair manual, yet, for this car but according to the Hyundai Service website the valve train is all hydralic and does not need adjusting; they don't even give values to adjust to. I am not going completely abandon theidea until I have a full blown service manual in my hand.

I have readmany posts on this forum regarding upper end engine noise and it sounds like Hyundai recommends using genuine Hyundai filters when changing oil because they give better oil flow; using aftermarket filters can cause the lifters not to get oil quickly enough and make noise because they are a little more resistive. I just did an oil change this morning and used a Hyundai filter rather than a Fram; so far no noise, we will see what happens.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:22 AM

Hello Tchertel,

I thing you found your problem.
Ifyou did not use the original Oil Filter or a recommanded model, you will have the same problem you have describe.
Because OEM Filter have a built in valve to prevent oil to flowing down when the engine is shutdown.
That keep the oil on the top of the engine to have a good lubrification next time you start.

Good Luck !

JL