Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

New Hyundai owner with Accent Maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 04:02 PM
Default New Hyundai owner with Accent Maintenance questions

Long-time Toyota owner here - we bought a 2021 Accent for our daughter so this is my first experience with a Hyundai. Seems like a good car so far. I am a bit confused with the free maintenance schedule and required maintenance. The owners manual says 8K for the first scheduled maintenance, but the dealer told me 5,000 for the first oil change (that's what Toyota suggests), then the finance guy said 7,500. Then today I received a letter from the dealer saying "Your accent is due for its 3,750 mile service" (that's not in the owners manual so I assume that is the dealer trying to make some extra$). The car is not driven under severe conditions, just normal. So my questions: 1.) Is 8K the normal time frame for oil changes and tire rotations (that seems a bit long). 2.) Do folks do some type of maintenance at 5K for a new car (oil change and tire rotation?) and if so, is that covered under the free maintenance or do I have to wait till 8K for free maintenance? 3.) Can I ignore the dealer's "Your accent is due for its 3,750 mile service" mailer.
Thanks for any advice. My daughter really likes the Accent and I like the gas mileage. Hoping it can be close to as reliable as the 07 Corolla that was totaled by some idiot who ran a red light

Old 05-28-2021, 11:09 AM

One of the worst things that can happen if you do the recommended service earlier than recommended is , it costs you a little more at the time, but saves you money in the long run..
Most of the recommendations are very general and each case can be different.
Severe service can mean a lot of things, only you know what and how the vehicle is driven.
The guide offered in the owner's manual will usually keep you out of trouble.
Keep in mind 8,000 highway miles is very different from 8,000 city miles.
Reasonable operation, (subject to exam) can mean no jack rabbit starts that destroys motor mounts So you see, there is no one method to judge when to perform the service.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:19 AM

My issue was trying to decipher the conflicting information I received from the dealer versus what I was reading in the owner's manual and also what I received when I called the Hyundai helpline. I bought my first Toyota in 1980 and I'm very familiar with their guidelines as well as when to do maintenance. I am also very familiar with the difference between severe and normal driving. Hyundai's recommendation of 8,000 MI for an oil change seemed long to me. The Hyundai helpline told me there is a range of acceptable mileages for an oil change which made it even more confusing.

Old 05-29-2021, 06:14 AM

There are some folks that don't reach the suggested mileage for an oil change, these vehicles then need to be serviced according to a time schedule instead of mileage.
How many miles a year would you estimate the vehicle might be driven?
Usually if the service is performed by a dealer, at the mileage recommended in the owner's manual, the warranty should be observed.
A good part of the time most people either overlook the service interval or ,"will get to it one of these days". and that is how they get in trouble.
Have you inquired from your dealership as to why their service interval is different from the owner's manual?