Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Maintenance not done at dealership-- what documentation do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 AM
Default Maintenance not done at dealership-- what documentation do I need?

Hi everyone,

I have had my 2012 Hyundai Elantra for 18 months, so I was due for my 22,500 mile / 18 month maintenance. This involves an oil change, rotation of tires, and a couple other quick inspections.

I decided to get this maintenance done at a local auto service shop rather than the dealer because it was half the price. The employee of the shop told me they do a full inspection with every oil change, so all the required inspections listed in the owner's manual would be addressed.

When they were finished, the employee handed me a receipt which just stated that the oil was changed and the tires were rotated, but it did not describe any of the other required inspections on the actual receipt. It did not even describe which oil was used as replacement.

I asked if he could please add more details as to which inspections were done, and he said that all he needed to do was sign my maintenance log (the official one Hyundai gives you.). He ended up doing this and also providing a business stamp with the name, address, and phone number of his shop.

I trust they did the maintenance, but I am worried that in the case I need something fixed under my Hyundai warranty, it could be void if there is no sufficient explicit records of the full inspection and even the oil used.

Do I have reason to be concerned? Should I go back and ask for these records to be put in proper writing?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't be too worried about the "inspections". Basically, they are just looking at the part. As long as you are documenting the oil changes and other maintenance that actually changes something (trans fluid, brakes, timing belt, coolant, etc) you will be fine.

Last edited by NovaResource; 01-21-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 AM

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2020, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by jasmineflower
Hi everyone,

I have had my 2012 Hyundai Elantra for 18 months, so I was due for my 22,500 mile / 18 month maintenance. This involves an oil change, rotation of tires, and a couple other quick inspections.

I decided to get this maintenance done at a local auto service shop rather than the dealer because it was half the price. The employee of the shop told me they do a full inspection with every oil change, so all the required inspections listed in the owner's manual would be addressed.

When they were finished, the employee handed me a receipt which just stated that the oil was changed and the tires were rotated, but it did not describe any of the other required inspections on the actual receipt. It did not even describe which oil was used as replacement.

I asked if he could please add more details as to which inspections were done, and he said that all he needed to do was sign my maintenance log (the official one Hyundai gives you.). He ended up doing this and also providing a business stamp with the name, address, and phone number of his shop.

I trust they did the maintenance, but I am worried that in the case I need something fixed under my Hyundai warranty, it could be void if there is no sufficient explicit records of the full inspection and even the oil used.

Do I have reason to be concerned? Should I go back and ask for these records to be put in proper writing?
Agree keeping receipts (in a folder) and annotated factory log is sufficient....But better yet suggest you create a spreadsheet / running word document by Date, Miles, Work done, Cost, shop / store for work or parts and details. This way you can quickly find "when, who, what, where" maintenance was done. I keep track of 8 cars in our family & kids.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jasmineflower
Hi everyone,

Agree keeping receipts (in a folder) and annotated factory log is sufficient....But better yet suggest you create a spreadsheet / running word document by Date, Miles, Work done, Cost, shop / store for work or parts and details. This way you can quickly find "when, who, what, where" maintenance was done. I keep track of 8 cars in our family & kids.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:40 PM

In addition to keeping a record of maintenance done to a vehicle as mentioned in previous post,I also keep a copy in the vehicle.
This is valuable if there is a problem while out on the road because everything that was done to the vehicle is available and can be very helpful .
It can be helpful if some location tries to sell you something that you know was tended to and can prevent buying unnecessary parts and labor.