Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

not happy with gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Default not happy with gas mileage

We just bought an GLS Premium 3 door we love the car it is just the gas mileage sucks. It is getting 482 km for 41 litres so it works out to about 28 mpg. This is the third Hyundai we have owned the first was a 85 Pony the second was a 95 Accent and now this one excellent car just the milage. The car has just over 6000 kms on it we got it on Dec 12 06 so its broke in by now. I have been back to the dealer a few times and they are going to send a email to Hyundai and see if there is anyone else with the same problem. I already told them that if I knew the thing was going to use gas like this I would have kept the old one because it was much better on gas.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Default RE: not happy with gas mileage

I forgot to say that is the 5 speed

Old 02-03-2007, 10:43 AM

I am going to check the plugs to see what it has but I am not going to pay for anything this is up to the dealer to fix the problem. Like it says in the brochure that it should get 6.3 L/100kms highway or 7.4 L/100kms city. Anywhere a little closer to that would make me happy. Its just anoying that they advertise "its exceptional fuel efficiency will leave you smiling at the pumps as well as on the open road." and its not I am kind of ticked off like I said our old one was better on gas. The girl I sold it to cant believe how good it is on gasand it had 275000 on it.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:43 PM

I too have experienced poorish Gas mileage on my 2003 Hyundai Accent in the past. After researching the issue, I found that it is the gear ratios that add to the poorer gas mileage on manual equiped cars. Automatic equiped cars have longer gear ratios which translates into less RPMs at highway speeds, thus getting better gas mileage. My car is now extensively modded and I can get almost 40mpg on a long trip, but my city mileage is only about 28mpg. BTW you should never go by EPA gas milage estimates, they are almost always wrong. For example: EPA says Toyotas Prius should get 50mpg. Car and Driver says they could only get 42mpg. Go Figure.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:09 PM

1. why would the plugs make such a huge impact
2. i have noticed less then advertised gas mileage on my 07, but i have always chaulked that up to the way i drive.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:30 PM

Ah i have a 05 GT i wish i had a newer model... but yea it always seems like im getting low gas but i pump maybe every 2 weeks so i guess its not too bad

Old 03-11-2007, 11:21 AM

I guess I wasnt using the right formula to figure the miles per gallon to do it right you take the l/100kms and divide them together and then divide 282.48 by that number and it will give you the correct milage. So on the last fill up we put in 35.76 litres for 459 kms so that equals 7.79 l/100kms and divide into 282.48 =36.26 miles/gallon. When I did it beforeI wasnt using the imperial gallon wich is 4.546 litres I was using the US gallon it is 20 percent smaller. I dont know why we have different gallons I figured that the car manufactures would use the same ratings in Canada as the US.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:49 PM

Hmmmmm.

Here's my intial gas milage findings. First off, I should mention that so far I have done almost "nothing but" in-town, stop-go, delivery driving. {my old worn out Geo Metro only got about 23 mpg doing this}
At first (and I mean, for like the first tank) I babied the heck out of this car...... and I got right at 25 mpg. Now this might not sound like much, but remember, I only got 23 mpg out of a Geo Metro, which only produced 70hp.... and now 25 mpg, out of a car producing 110 hp. So, depending on how one looks at it, not too bad.

On the next couple of tanks, I drove it a bit harder. Of course I was worried about that 25 mpg dropping off...... but to my surprise, I got the same 25 mpg :-) Cool ! This might be because even after only one tank of gas, themotor was beggining to loosen up...... but also, I think it might have something to do with me learning how to drive the car, the way it wants to be driven..... or should I say, knowingwhen the car needs gas, and when it doesn't. {I have certainly learned how to make theauto tranny do what I want, when I want}

I'm really expecting my Accent to get 35 to 37 mpg on the highway {remember that Metro that only got 23 mpg during pizza deliveries ? It still got 38 mpg on the highway} and that would be great for me also.

So anyway, I'm on about the 5 tank of gas in my new Accent, and by now, I'm driving it pretty much in my normal manner. It might break in just a touch more..... but I might end up driving it a touch harder too. So, I'm expecting it to level out at 25 mpg for in-town / delivery miles, and maybe 35 mpg highway.......slightly better than my old beater Metro, andMUCH more fun to drive :-)

Oh BTW, on my last tank, I started using the air conditioner all day ! It's not that hot here yet, but the window tinting guy told me not to roll down the windows for a 4 or 5 days, until the tint was totally dry.... and try not rolling your windows down, when your surrounded by steaming pizzas !
And surprisingly,even with constant air con, still 25 mpg ! Cool{no pun intended} :-)

Peace,
Fish

Old 03-11-2007, 09:42 PM

i have found similar numbers with city driving, i have really been paying attention to highway miles as much, but i am going to visit a freind this week, 250 miles away, so i will keep track. also my freind and i will be installing a CC so maybe the constant speed will give me better gas mileage on the way home. in addition i will be doing the first oil change on the car, so hopefully the synthetic oil will help a wee bit too

Old 03-11-2007, 11:03 PM

Hey Seiken, of course I'm interested in how that CC works out for you, so please follow up on that.

But hey, about synthetic oil, my mechanic tells me that the "only" thing better about it, is that it lasts longer than regular oil, but since I prefer to change mine every 3,000 religiously, that wont make any difference for me anyway.
Also, he says that synthetic oil actually has more of a tendancy to burn. It will even burn a little in tight, new engines which will not burn any noticable amount of regular oil. So, my mechanic says that if a guy wants to use synthetic, and prefers to change his oil only every 6,000 or 7,500 miles, then at the very least, he should check the level once or twice between changes.

It's my belief that a motor will last longer with regular oil, changed every 3k, than synthetic, changed every 6k.

Peace,
Fish

Quick Reply: not happy with gas mileage