Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Default Rough Idle

Hey there,

I just bought a used 2001 Accent GS (in canada) 1.5L, with A/T. I had it inspected before I bought it and everything checked out with no major problems. However, during my test drive I noticed the steering wheel shakes slightly when idling and I can really hear the engine. I mentioned this to the mechanic who inspected it and he tried to fob it off as this being a prob with 4 cyl engines. Anyway, I didnt think the problem was that bad and I got a great deal on the car.

After driving it for a few weeks, and in comparison to my 1995 4cyl Honda Civic Hatchback that I own, I can't believe that this rough idle on the accent is normal. I wonder if it just needs a flushing of all the fluids and a major tune up? I dont know that much about cars, but Im not sure what the problem could be as when I actually drive the car is absolutely fine and engine noise isn't that bad at all.

Any suggestions? Should I take it to a Hyundai Service Centre or can any mechanic troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Nelson

Old 01-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Default RE: Rough Idle

vibration can be felt more on a 4cyl engine because a v6 or v8 has a better balance to it.
you say your accent is a 01 and if it has less then 60,000 miles i would bring to a dealership because
its most likeley warranty, providing maintnaince has been done

if not i have seen on accents with 1.5l have burnt exhaust valves, if it idles rough but roughness goes away above 2,000
rpms its most likeley exhaust valves, also if the mil on

if vibration is through the power band 900rpms - 5,500 rpms it could be anything from motor mounts to ignition issues, like wires or plugs

regardless, i would bring to other dealer if the one you bought it from wont help you, the hyundai dealer i work at charges 1.0 diag for non warr cust and
our rate is $90 an machanical hour

Old 01-18-2006, 02:48 AM
Default RE: Rough Idle

A test you can do at home to see which cylinder is causing problems if it's an ignition problem is start the car open the hood and pull the #1 cylinder plug wire. If the engine doesn't die or change it's sound then that is the cylinder giving you problems. If the engine changes pitch and sounds like it's bogging out then quickly plug the wire back in. That's not the problem. Unplug #2 cylinder wire repeat until problem cylinder is located. If you get the same thing on all 4 plugs then your wires and plugs are find problem is somewhere else. Possibly valves or mounts. Check mounts for broken/badly torn rubber or a lack of the rubber altogether.