Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Are there any problems the Accent is known for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Default Are there any problems the Accent is known for?

Hi, my fiance purchased a 2005 Elantra GT about 6 months ago and loves the car. I'm not looking for a different car but want something a bit smaller so I looked to the Accent. Before I go buying one, I was wondering if there are any problems that the Accentis known for/common problems?

Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Default RE: Are there any problems the Accent is known for?

Although the Accent doesn't have a long history like the Corolla or Civic, I think it compares well with those cars.

Mine is a 2007 Accent GSL bought in May; I've driven it across the country and back (over 7000 miles), with no problems. It has over 11,000 miles on it now.

Considering the price and the warranty, I thought it was a good choice and I'd buy it again. However, I may be biased because I am not interested in many luxury features such as heated seats or power mirrors.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:16 AM

Either am I. All I really want is a smaller sized car that's good on gas (I commute about 20k miles a year) and reliable. My current car, a 2002 Saturn SL2 is great other than recent quirky things going on leading me to believe that it's going to need major work soon. I've never had problems with Saturns before (especially not at 70k miles) like this. I'm looking at a 2005 Hyundai Accent with 28k miles for $5995. I was just wondering if the '05s are known for any huge issues, transmission, engine, suspension, things like that. Also, the car was repo'ed from the last owner. I know to check the typical things when purchasing a car (fluids, transmission shifting, cleanliness of the engine bay, tires, suspension-bouncing test). Are there any other things to check on a repo? Are they towed away or driven away from the old owner? I really have no idea about how repo's work because I've always bought all my cars cash....

Old 12-14-2007, 02:52 PM

I have a 2003 Accent GLS which I picked up used with 79,000 miles. It was a dealer trade in and its in real fine shape.
It was maintained properly and I even have a record that the timing belt was replaced at 68,000 miles.

From what I have read (and I have a friend with an 01 going strong) I can expect well over 130,000 miles or more from the car.

It gets 34mpg and sees mostly country type hiway miles, some city.

I have had the car for 3 months and now have 86,000 miles on it with any any troubles,

Change the oil frequently per the manual and get it serviced promptly.

I drive it like the 'mature' car it is becoming so it shall continue to grow old gracefully.

Best of luck with your accent!

CCacioppo

Old 12-22-2007, 09:59 PM

The rear brakes will make a scrubbing sound the first time you use them after it rains. They'll work fine, you'll just notice it after it's been parked and use them for the first time.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:12 PM

Wow, how could I forget?....The spark plug wires have a very short life. I've heard of many, manyproblems with those.

Oddly enough, when the plug wires go bad it causes the engine to jerk and many people have misdiagnosed this as an automatictransmission problem. Weird, but I've read a lot of posts and it seems to be a common misdiagnosis.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:37 PM

I have a 2001 Accent GL, and love the car. It is nice and small, but the gas mileage took a nose dive as soon as the ethanol level in gas went up. You never get the mileage they claim you will. I have heard that while the engine is great and will run basically forever, the cars are known for chewing through trannies. And I can agree with that- mine blew out at 40,000 miles, two months after I bought the car, and I didn't abuse it. It was replaced under warranty, but the replacement tranny has never seemed quite right. Other than that, however, the car has been good to me. Make sure that the timing belt is changed every 60,000 miles and that all recommended servicing is done, and the car should be good to you. Good luck.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:01 AM

Hi rm125chris...Yes, my Ford Festiva did just as you said. My mechanic replaced the sparkplug wires & solved the problem. My Festiva has been great to me, getting as high as 53 MPG. We got a 2008 Accent & hope the Accent will be as good for my wife.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: ArtZPACarGal711

I have a 2001 Accent GL, and love the car. It is nice and small, but the gas mileage took a nose dive as soon as the ethanol level in gas went up. You never get the mileage they claim you will. I have heard that while the engine is great and will run basically forever, the cars are known for chewing through trannies. And I can agree with that- mine blew out at 40,000 miles, two months after I bought the car, and I didn't abuse it. It was replaced under warranty, but the replacement tranny has never seemed quite right. Other than that, however, the car has been good to me. Make sure that the timing belt is changed every 60,000 miles and that all recommended servicing is done, and the car should be good to you. Good luck.

i have the same car year make and model, (infact it looks like we're going in the same direction in mods, I wonder where you got your body kit. i can't find side skirts for the four door model, but thats beside te point)

any ways the same thing happened to me word for word, and it was still under warranty just like his. but other than that i love my accent and haven't had any problems other than basic maintance at all. they are very dependable and relibale little cars