Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Parasitic draw, that starts after a new battery is 8 or 9 months old.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 09:23 PM
Default Parasitic draw, that starts after a new battery is 8 or 9 months old.

My wife has a 2012 Azera which she bought in 2014. She loves the car with one exception. The car will eventually cause the battery to go bad in 8 to 12 months. When it starts to go bad the battery will test ok, but when recharged it drains with in a few days. After a week, it will drain overnight. Hyundai has had it numerous times and could not isolate a problem. They just replace the battery and tell us "We know theres a problem, but we can't find it" after 8 to 10 months, same issue. They have it for a week, replace the battery and tell us sorry, they can't isolate the issue. THEY ACKNOWLEDGE THE PROBLEM! Well, after 5 years, they told us that was the last time they would replace the battery, and we should trade it in or sell it. My wife loves the car and it's paid for long ago. I would love to figure it out.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:22 PM

Wow. Just wow. This is almost EXACTLY what I am experiencing with my daughter's car. 2012 Azera, battery is 9 months old, and it dies every few days. I found a video on YouTube of a 2013 that behaves exactly the same way when trying to start. A rhythmic click and lights flashing inside, but not like I remember starters of old sounding when the battery was dead, which was a much more rapid clicking. Anyway, after first assuming the immobilizer was to blame, I finally figured out it was the battery at fault because jumping her off always worked. After more investigation, I figured out my daughter had been running her 'new' battery now for several months with some 12v plug-powered LED lights always plugged in. Much to my chagrin, I discovered the Azera always powers the 12v ports. (I have Hondas for the other cards which always powers those down when the car is off) I thought the problem was now solved, but then the next day she died again during the day and couldn't crank it up to come home after work.

Last night, I did the parasitic tests and put the multimeter in series with everything unplugged. Sure enough, on 10A, I saw between 1.5-3.0A draw. Checked all the fuses under the hood and nothing changed. Moved to the inside fuse box and found a culprit in the Multimedia (10A) fuse, which powers the radio, telematics, etc. Pulling that fuse dropped the fuse to .5A.

Anybody have any ideas as to where to go from here? I found this page in the service manual but I haven't fully digested it. Hyundai Azera: Relay Box (Passenger Compartment) Description and Operation - Fuses And Relays - Body Electrical System - Hyundai Azera 2011-2020 Service Manual

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2020, 08:50 AM

Based on the info you provided, My next step would be to determine just what parts make up the "Multi media load". Possibly knowing which items it includes , you might try disconnecting each one and maybe get an idea which item is responsible for not shutting down or is producing an excessive load.
If nothing is found there it could be the IPM itself. What do you think?