Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

00 elantra crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Default 00 elantra crank no start

i have a 00 elantra and it started up just fine till recently. the other day it woudlnt start and i thought it could of been no fuel since it was low any way. so i got full in it and when to start it and nothing. i had it towed down to my shop and we hooked it up on a battery charger and checked the spark plugs for spark and then out of no where it started up and ran fine for a day or two. then it started all over again. i volt meterd the battery and it came back at12.6v. as far as i remebr that was just enough for the engine to fine. i may be wrong.. is there any idea or suggestions on anything. are coil packs common to fail on these models and how to check besides getting another one. any ideas would be greatly apreciated. i check all of the fuses and they were fine but ill double check.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Default RE: 00 elantra crank no start

also i did pull the plug wires out and used a screwdriver to hold it close to ground to see if there was a spark there was no spark on any of the wires. also there are no codes stored and its ovee120k from what i rember.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

You say you're getting 12.6 volts at the battery. Is that with the engine running?

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:23 PM

no thats it with out cranking
i think it was at low 11 or hi 10v

Old 12-01-2008, 09:38 AM

It could be anything from a coil pack, crank sensor, engine fuse, or a lose wire. Does the engine turn at all or does it just draws juice from the battery. If the engine just isn't getting spark, the engine will turn but not fire, so that could be fouled plugs, bad coil packs, bad crank sensor or a blown fuse, but since it finnally did start, you can rule out a fuse. if its just an electrical issue could be lose/bad wires or your charging system like the battery or alternator. Also one thing you should check and it sounds stupid butthis has happened to me twice since i owned a hyundai,,just check the battery terminals and make sure they are fully contacted. I changed out both my because of that, the positive terminal wasn't clamping tight enough and i searched my entire engine for a lose wire to finnaly notice that.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 PM

it just draws from the battery. im postive its no spark. when i pulled the plug wires and used a screw driver to get check if it had a spark and it was nothing. so i thought it could be a coil pack of maybe one of the sensors needed to start the cars. so cars have like 4 to start. anyone have specs on how to check the crank sensor and where is it on the block. the battery terminals are on there damn tight im wonderd if 12v before crank is enough to crank. loose wires i didnt know where to start looking really from what sensors i could see if they were tight they were