Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

06 Elantra GT - at wits end!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Default 06 Elantra GT - at wits end!

Sorry for the long post...just trying to be thorough.

I have an 06 Elantra GT with 76k miles.

The check engine light came on a few weeks ago. It's time to get it smogged, but won't pass because of the light.

We took it to a repair shop (not the dealer), and they pulled the codes:
P0501 & P0011.

We had both of those sensors replaced. Camshaft position sensor, and Variable speed sensor. They told us to drive it for a while so it could reset and we could get it smogged. Right at the 40 mile mark, the light came on. We took it back, and they pulled the P0501 code again. Replaced the sensor again. This time they noticed that there was a lot of oil buildup in the engine, and that it may be causing the sensor to fail.

He pulled the top "cover" off the motor to reveal some nasty caked-on oil deposits. He offered to do a "power flush" and use a product called MOA on it (free of charge). After running the engine for a few minutes, it lost all oil pressure. He says there was so much sludge, that now the oil pickup tube was plugged and had to be cleared. Of course, that wasn't free. It cost $300 to drop the oil pan and clear the blockage. They did several flushes, and the oil pressure seemed to get better. All lights were off.

We drove it for less than a day, then it started. Engine light back on, oil light on, and a lot of loud knocking in the engine. We took it back. This time he's saying that it's an oil control valve, or variable timing valve. He talked to my wife, so I didn't get the exact terminology.

I've searched everywhere for both of those and can find nothing. Closest I could find is an Intake Valve Control Solenoid.

Does anyone know what sensor/solenoid he might be talking about? He showed it to my wife, and pointed to the harness right on the front of the motor, leading under the top cover. The dealer quoted me $600 to replace. We're already $800 into this repair. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

The Oil Control Valve controls the variable valve timing. I'd change it and the filter.

OCV (oil control valve) connector (A)

OCV (oil control valve) (A).

OCV (oil control valve) filter (A).

I'd also change mechanics. Power flusing an engine with a lot of sludge is a bad idea (and you found out).

Old 07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Banned

How did it get so gunked in the first place? Putting money in a motor like that is a waste. You'll have nothing but problems.

Sounds like new motor time to me. Check car-part.com for motors in your area.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks guys!

I'm gonna try to do it myself before I look at a new motor. And definitely find a new mechanic when needed.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
The Oil Control Valve controls the variable valve timing. I'd change it and the filter.

OCV (oil control valve) connector (A)

OCV (oil control valve) (A).

OCV (oil control valve) filter (A).

I'd also change mechanics. Power flusing an engine with a lot of sludge is a bad idea (and you found out).
Well, I've been trying to work on the OCV, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove it. I've removed the bolt from the block, and the valve seems to turn easily, but is stopped by the bolt tab. I've searched everywhere, but can't find instructions on how to remove it. Do you have to take out the cam shafts?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:59 PM

In case anyone can't find the filter for the OCV, here it is in the photo. This is not the OCV itself, but the screen filter. You remove this 14 mm bolt shown in the photo and pull it out. You can clean it with brake cleaner:

Name:  1fc49e1b-6838-4315-afed-ca6367846bad_zpsx7z4kitk.jpg
Views: 5121
Size:  361.1 KB

Thanks to NovaResource who described to me where I can find this screen filter.