Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

'07 Elantra maintenance/Warranty Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Default '07 Elantra maintenance/Warranty Questions

I bought a used '07 Elantra Limited with 9,127 miles. I'm trying to figure out if this vehicle qualifies for the 5/60 drive train warranty. The dealer printed out the car's service record for me.

06/07/07 15 miles predelivery inspection/service
09/28/07 2,126 miles consumer action
11/08/07 2,290 miles switch assy-lighting and/or turn signal
05/20/08 6,344 miles change engine oil and filter check and fill fluids, etc
11/05/08 9,127 miles perform oil+filter change using a motorcraft filter and synthe....

The sales guy told me the car has a 5 year or 60,000 mile warranty on the drive train.
But the Bill of Sale doesn't mention any kind of warranty. Vehicle was purchased in the Baltimore, MD area. [/align]************************************************** *********************************************

The owners manual states the following maintenance items need to be performed. I want to do them myself and save a few bucks. besides the warranty no longer applies to them:

page 7-6 of the owner's manual:

at least once a year:
clean body and door holes[/align]
*where are the holes located?

lubricate door and hood locks and latches[/align]
*what should I use to lubricate the door locks and latches?

lubricate door rubber weatherstrips[/align]
*what do I lubricate the weatherstrips with?

Check the air conditioning system[/align]
*how do I check the A/C system?

Inspect and lubricate automatic transaxle linkage and controls[/align][/align]*lubricate them with what?

Clean battery and terminals
I know how to do this

Check the brake (and clutch) fluid level
[/align]*I know how to do this

Can a buy a book that'll describe how an owner can perform the maintenance tasks described above?

The car paint is silver and there is no side molding to prevent dings and dents to the doors and side body panels. Does Hyundai sell side molding for the car? [/align][/align]I Googled "Hyundai Forums" and it returned about a dozend or more different forums. Should I join all of them? That's a lot of forums to keep up with.

Thanks[/align]

Old 11-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Default RE: '07 Elantra maintenance/Warranty Questions

The sales guy told me the car has a 5 year or 60,000 mile warranty on the drive train.
New Hyundai vehicles come with several warranties. The 5 year/60,000 mile warranty (sometimes called the bumper-to-bumper warranty) is inherited by subsequent owners when the car is sold. The 10 year/100K power train warranty is not. Like all car warranties, they tend to be no more valuable than the dealer itself and you will find lot's of threads on this forum that both praise and villify various Hyundai dealerships. If you purchased the car from a Hyundai dealer, you are most likely covered.

11/05/08 9,127 miles perform oil+filter change using a motorcraft filter and synthe....
You could start off with a new dealer by taking the car in for an oil change and filter. Why? Many Hyundai dealers will only honor warranty claims on cars where Hyundai OEM parts (including filters) are used. I'm also a bit concerned about the use of a Motorcraft filter on the car. Why? I have Fords in my fleet and do use Motorcraft filters on them, but I don't think Motorcraft makes an OEM replacement filter per se for the Elantra. It would be wise to get the right filter on the engine.

Can a buy a book that'll describe how an owner can perform the maintenance tasks described above?
Go to http://www.hmaservice.com/.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:14 AM

Yesterday, I went to another dealer service dept where they replaced the filter and changed the oil.
This time they installed a Quaker State oil filter and Quaker State oil. I've never ever been a fan of Quaker State oil. years ago, I had a Norton Atlas bike and used Quaker State oil until I took the engine apart and saw some sort of sludgecaked all over the place. Then I learned Quaker State was some sort of parafin based oil. youck. Even though I requested a Hyudai OEM filter. They told me the Quaker State filter has the right bypass valve and some other valve.
Needless to say I'm P.O. . . .

Old 11-25-2008, 08:10 AM

They told me the Quaker State filter has the right bypass valve and some other valve.
Needless to say I'm P.O. . . .
Go back and show them this...http://jerrystout.us/sonata/tsb/afte...%20filters.pdf

Old 11-25-2008, 08:32 AM

It gets even stranger because the service tech gave me that TSB yesterday. I think he's the one that added the QS filter.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:33 AM

Any recommendations for Hyundai Service Depts in the Baltimore, Towson, Naryland area?