Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2003 Elantra bad brake light

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 08:16 PM
Default 2003 Elantra bad brake light

Hello everyone, New member here. I have a 2003 Elantra that has always treated me right but recently it has been giving me trouble. One of the problems is that the Elantra has the running back lights that brighten when the brake peddle is pressed. well mine is constantly bright as if the brake peddle were pressed and it’s only on one side. When I went to inspect I noticed that the Bulb got so hot from it being direct (always bright) that it melted the connection points, I thought it was the back lights wiring harness thing so I replaced but later found out it wasn’t that piece. I’m stumped is it a short farther down into the harness? or is a fuse ? . Any help would help.

now the second problem. When I bought the car it had no light and no problems basically but after about a year the check engine light came on and it was p0420 code which the mechanic told me was a o2 sensor. He told would be a easy fix so I did just that and replaced it , after 2 days the light came back on so I took it back and they said it was a faulty sensor so they put in a OEM sensor and then 2 days later boom it came back on . This happen with about 2 other mechanics that put here under a lot of tests like the fuel mix , checking the cat , and replacing other things like spark plugs and such… but nothing they finally said “sorry we don’t know what it could be . It could be a ECU problem and that I should get it reflashed. I’m honestly stumped and I live in New York where I need to pass inspection and it’s the light constantly in I will never pass it. I’m sorry for such a long post but I really need help. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by HoyKoy; 08-23-2022 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:53 AM

I doubt a fuse is involved, but there are 2 ways that R/S stop lamp is staying lit.
The first is if the ground for that right rear lamp is open , the lamp is using the stop lamp for a path to ground so both elements in the bulb lite up.

The second thing to check is the bulb itself. If the element for the tail or for the stop lamp broke and is contacting the other circuit , both will be on if either one has power.

Let us know what you find, thanks.