Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Alternator Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Default Alternator Removal Question

Im removing the alternator from a 2004 Elantra, i got all bolts out, the alternator is free, but i cant get it out. Do i need to remove anything else? Do you pull it out the top of the engine compartment or from the bottom?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Me too, I got the alternator laying on the front drive axle and the O2 sensor. Can't go up down, left right, big heavy things are in the way everywhere, like a sprinkler with tree roots grown all around it!
I pulled the oil filter, but it didn't free up enough of a hole to get it out behind the RF wheel, under the frame rail.
Do I have to drop the engine cradle? Arghhh, pull the intake manifold?, yettch, I can't even chop a hatch in the firewall, too much HVAC stuff in the way...
Can anybody give me the magic answer? Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:07 PM

welcome to the time/spacial relationship corner where things truly are *not* as easy or simple as they seem to be.

i am assuming that both of you guys are trying to get this in your garage, driveway, backyard, anywhere, but on a lift, right?? well there you go. you may have to remove the axle to get this out. (what, you never had to do this repair on a honda accord or prelude??)

i cannot say that i have done one of these particular models, but i believe that you may, ***MAY***, be able to loosen the front motor mount and jack up the engine (be careful, don't break anything) and get enough room to wiggle it out.

of course if that doesn't work, there are repair manuals available that may be able to shed some light on this. i don't mean to sound like a jerk but that's why there are flat rate manuals for repair estimates. somehow 2.4 hours seems like it's not enough time to replace the alternator now, is it??

good luck. perhaps there are some that have done this repair and can shed specifics on the proceedure.

df

Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Yes, df, your point is well taken, I always felt those flat rate times were disregarding the uther things, such as getting ready, filling out forms, and cleanup afterwards. Another thing they are bad for is they mislead a new technician to think he will make a reasonable hourly rate. What they don't indicate is that you are lucky to bill for 4 hours out of an 8 hour day.

But I certainly don't have any better idea...

On the other side, the home repairman will take way longer for everything, it is always his first time!

I was encouraged by PlanetDude who had gotten his out the top, and knowing that, I was able to do the same.

I used to think I was pretty cool for figuring out how to change the plugs on my 68 Charger 440 RT, by taking the wheels off. Now I am just a piker, everything requires taking the wheels off. Doesn't seem like it is getting any better...

Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Finally got the new Alternator in. Works fine, thanks to the help I got from PlanetDude.

I found that if you hang it from a wire, it is much easier to manupilate into place, because you can now use your right hand. I put the upper bolt in the upper mounting lug on the alternator from the wrong side, and looped a piece of wire around it, it holds it just about in the same position it is mounted in, so now your left hand can easily move it around until you get the one long mounting bolt through the two ears on the bottom of the alternator, into the tab on the back of the engine.

Actually it is better to set it in there with the alternator stud pointing up, and bolt the heavy power cable on, so you can see what you are doing. That way you know that the ring-tongue lug went on the stud, not just next to it. Don't ask me how I know that, I just do.

So thanks for the help and sympathy, I needed every bit!

Last edited by dbacon; 02-11-2010 at 10:46 AM.