Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

V6 alternator removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Default V6 alternator removal

Hi all! I am new to the forum and Hyundai but long in the car repair business. My son-in-law has a 2002 Sonata so when the alternator went south, I was elected to help. Whenever tackling anything I am not familiar with and don't have a factory service manual available, I head for the internet and it has always been pretty faithful. So I thought I would share my experience here.
Everything I found told me to pull axles, taking loose lower ball joints and strut mounts. Also loosen upper motor mount and stabilizer bar. Of course this was after removing the right front wheel and the plastic shield behind it. I tried some of this but just couldn't bear to pull the axle as many times you can damage the bearing in the process and have new things to fix.
I found that after removing the right front wheel and the splash shield(these just give you room to get to some of the bolts on the alternator and reach in and manipulate the alternator around)you proceed in this order.
1.Remove the wires from the alt.
2.Loosen and remove the lower mounting bolt(I know the mount is slotted but it gives you and little more play room if you remove it).
3.Remove the upper alt. mounting bolt.
4.Remove the upper alt. mounting bracket from the block.
5.Remove the bolt holding the wiring harness bracket in place so it can be moved aside.
6.This should leave you a big enough hole to bring the alt. out right through the top. I know. I just finished.
I tried hours doing all the other things only to be frustrated and finished this in about 1.5 or less hours.
Sorry about the long post but just needed to share.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 PM

Thx for this heads up. I just did the timing belt on my 2.7L and saw where that alternator was at. OMG! It does look like an ugly prospect.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Default question

so your telling me you can remove the alternator with out messing with the suspension or motor mounts??

Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 AM

Yep! It's kinda like the small childs toy where you have to fit the different shapes in the holes in the little ball but if you turn, roll and twist it around enough, it will come out through the small gap in the top.