Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

car trouble and totally confused

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Default car trouble and totally confused

My car is doing the weirdest thing lately. It started about a week ago. First time I went out to start my car and it woldn't start. I tried jumping it and it wouldn't start. I let it set for maybe 5 minutes went back out and it started up just fine. But the service engine light came on. eventually the light went off. This week mysertiously my car wouldn't start similar situation. wouldn't start hooke it up to jumper cables waited a little while and it started. then again today the same problem took the battery had it tested said low battery but after charging it the battery was good. Is his the altamator? The reason I ask is ecause I am not losing any power while driving it. For instance last nightI started if no problem and then again this morning and then I went somewhere and it started again drove for abot five minutes and parked turned it off and restarted it before getting out and it started again. Spent about five to ten minutes running in to the a place and come back out it wouldn't start. If it is the start why am I not loosing my lights or anything else? I am stumped on this because it sounds like the altanator but I'm not loosing power all the time. My car is a 2000 elantra.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:35 AM
Default RE: car trouble and totally confused

Now when you say it wont start, does it turn over but not start, or when you turn the key nothing happens at all. Now the check engine light came on cause it stored a code in the pcm. The code is still there.It will be labeled a history code.Get the code pulled by using a scan tool either at the dealer or someone else.Let us know what they find.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:37 AM
dsm

Go to an auto store i.e. Advanced or Auto Zone and have them check the alternator output. Sounds like the alternator could be on the way out. It would be less expensive to find out now rather than keep driving it and have it fail on the road.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: dsm

Go to an auto store i.e. Advanced or Auto Zone and have them check the alternator output. Sounds like the alternator could be on the way out. It would be less expensive to find out now rather than keep driving it and have it fail on the road.
I already thought about that, even went as far as pricing alt JIC. Question is, if not the alt, what else could it possibly b?