Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Crank, good fuel pressure, no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 08:20 AM

Well it's not the timing. I can't think of anything left it could be other than the key.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:09 AM

Were you able to confirm ground signal from ECM to injectors?
If no signal, that leaves the immobilizer system or the ECM.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:32 PM

From the laundry list of things done, there is spark and fuel injector pulse along with working fuel pump.
Checks now are to see if the exhaust is clogged or the timing is off.
The laundry list also mentions that there is no key symbol, hopefully while cranking.
So, doubt there is a problem with the immobilizer, especially with injector pulse and spark available

Note: coil over plugs can sometimes be grounding before the plug so no spark in cylinder and no start
But, do not know as we can not inspect the coils. My old Elantra were actual coils using a waste spark system.
IDK about the 2013

Last edited by avisitor; 11-29-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:46 AM

Right about now I would suggest pulling one or two spark plugs and see what they look like.
Do they look wet , dry . That would tell us if fuel is or is not getting in there.
If they are wet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Hold a lighted match under the wet plug and see if it lites up. If it does not, you got a load of water in your fuel.
If you can confirm that, your day is planned.
No amount of adding anything can make the job easier. The fuel filter should be checked and the same match test done to see if what comes out of it burns.
If it is loaded with water it will not burn and won't ignite in the cylinder either.

Unleaded gasoline can hold water and look OK. If some of the fuel that comes to the filter is left in a glass container and allowed to settle a while, you will see the water settle to the bottom. It may take an hour or two, but you can't miss it if it is there.

Last edited by hanky; 11-30-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 AM

This was the most frustrating issue I've had to diagnose in a while. I greatly appreciate everyone's input on this. Hopefully my resolution of this issue will help someone else who may have a similar problem in the future.

The culprit was the positive lead to the battery not being secured properly. Which explains why I initially had no spark - but then did. I figured in my tired state and working in the dark and rain I just screwed something up. Now I'm thinking it was the faulty connection not sending spark like I originally thought. That poor connection - which tested as good signal by the way, must have jarred itself loose enough during cranking that it couldn't send spark. The plugs were covered in fuel and indeed the engine was flooded when it finally fired up. Securing the positive lead solved the issue.

Sadly I was not the one who came to this conclusion. After eliminating every other possibility I concluded it must be the ECU or something the dealer would have to program, and the battery cable is the first thing they checked. Well, up side is it was a cheap fix, and only my ego had to pay a high price

Old 12-03-2019, 06:14 PM

Thank for the update.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:08 PM

Ouch ! Somebody famous once said , "start with the basics" Glad it is fixed, thanks.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:05 PM
Default 2013 Hyundai Elantra Cranks, No Start, No codes

Scenario: My car fired up No problem a few days ago. Today it cranks, no start, and codes found with scanner. I can hear the fuel pump turn on, battery is good, nothing wrong with fuses. I checked the spark plugs and they were wet with gasoline. I cleaned them up check for spark and at first some would spark but then seemed to not light up during cranking when I took them out individually. So it is getting power, fuel, no spark. No codes are in the ECM. I was thinking either coil packs or crank sensor. It seems like it is close to starting then just won't and the next crank is just as bad if not even more fruitless. Any help would be great. No lights come on the dash either.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:24 AM

You seemed to have narrowed it down to an intermittent no spark condition.

Could be crank sensor or it's connections, insufficient power to the coil(s), Or maybe engine is flooded. If it cranks over OK, then hold the throttle pedal to the floor when attempting to start and see if it starts. You will need to hold the pedal down quite a bit to allow it to clear out once it starts or it will continue to flood the engine with fuel.