Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Drum Brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Default Drum Brake

Hi,

I have a 1999 1.6 si Hyundai Lantra. My back right drum brake keeps sticking. Today Ive tried to take the drum off to take a look at it but i cant seem to get the damn thing off. Is there any tricks in to getting this thing off?
Ive tried the usual trick, bashing the drum from all angles with a mallet and a piece of wood. Ive also tried to hit the drum off from the back but nothing appears to be budging. There appears to be two screws on the face of the drum but the person that has replaced the drum before me appears to have sheared a screw and not replaced it and left the other one off.
I noticed a little white plastic thing at the back of the brake on the inner plate. I haven't a clue what it could be for. Does anybody know what this could be for?

In the instructions i downloaded off the Internet it says to remove the brake drum. It then says to take of the wheel bearing nut and remove the rear hub with the brake drum. Another set of instructions from the same website tells me to just remove the brake drum. Do i need to take the wheel bearing nut off first?

If i do need to take off the wheel bearing nut, do you have any tips for me to remove it since it looks like part of the nut is bent into the stump axle? Will i need to replace anything after i have taken it off?

Hope to hear from a guru soon,

Robert

Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Drum Brake

Yes, youneed to remove the axle nut to pull the drum off.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:56 AM

If there is a lip in the drum because of wear from the brake shoes. Is there a way i can loosen the brake shoes from the outside before i try to take the drum off?

Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 AM

I just replaced the drum brakes on my 97 Elantra, and I Did need to remove the wheel bearing nut. The Haynes Manual I used walked me step by step through the process. I would consider purchasing one for your self.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:07 PM

Ive already tried buying the manual but Ive been told by many shops and the Haynes websites say that there isn't one published.

Did you need to buy anything new for the wheel nut? As it is held in place by the bent metal and not a split pin like used on many other cars.