Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2006 Brake Drum Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Default 2006 Brake Drum Removal

I have a 2006 Elantra with rear drum brakes. I've searched on the brake drum removal topic and find conflicting information in several threads. I was told at the state inspection that the wheel cylinders need replacement. I can't get the drums off.

After removing the wheel I see the four studs and two other holes in the drum. One of these holes is blind; i.e., there is just a solid surface behind it. The other has a threaded sleeve but there is nothing screwed into it. According to a tech bulletin I read there is supposed to be a (shoe retaining?) bolt there, but it's empty.

Some threads say that I have to remove the dust cap and the hub nut to get the drum off. Some say that the drum should simply pull/pry off once the wheel is removed. Others say that the drum should come off by screwing a 10mm bolt into a hole in the drum - this can't be true because there is no such hole. I haven't tried prying the drum off because not knowing the correct procedure I didn't want to damage anything.

What is the truth about removing the drums from this car?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 AM

I don't know about this particular car, but typically drums just come off without having to remove any axle nuts, etc. That threaded hole is probably for the insertion of a bolt to assist in the pushing off of the drum. Make sure the e-brake isn't on and try to break the drum free by moving it out a little bit at a time with a hammer and a wood block. Wrap it on each edge a little bit at a time. If they are telling you the wheel cylinders need replacement, they must have had it off unless they can see brake fluid dripping from the base of each drum.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 AM

RAP the drum with heavy hammer to break the grip of hole in drum to hub,,, then pull drum off.

Majority of time, it will be difficult to just slide drum off due to large rust lip.. work at it then to get drum off, rotate and pull at same time... then grind the lip off.