Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Default electrical problem

I have a 2001 Elantra GT. Recently I was made aware of a problem concerning my brake lights. The upper middle brake light is the only one that works. The brake lights on the passenger and driver side do not work. I'm thinking it could be a grounding problem, as it seems very unlikely that both brake light bulbs would go at the same time. We've also had several other minor electrical issues (i.e. clock works part-time, turn signal will not automatically turn off) that make me think of grounding problems. Has anyone else had similar issues? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: electrical problem

Try replacing both bulbs first. You'd be surprised how often someone doesn't realize they have a burned out brake light until the second one goes out.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 AM

If it didn't happen to me, I wouldn't have believed it either. It happened on a Ford truck I own but same symptoms, same doubts, same answer. Both bulbs had burnt out and replacing them did the trick. The turn signals on the truck would sometimes not blink, sometimes would blink and suddenly stop without anyone touching anything. I would have sworn that the problem was electrical but when I replaced the bulbs ...

I realized that logic has nothing to do with being a good wrench.

badwrench

Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 AM

I have a Elantra 1999 that will not start the code comes up crank sensor changed that still wil not start
When the engine is cranking there is no spark any suggestions
Steve

Old 04-19-2008, 09:51 AM

To get proper attention from other forum members, you should have started a new discussion thread rather than tack your question onto an unrelated matter. Regardless, this is a Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin discussing problems related to replacement of the crank position sensor:

================================================== ==========

TSB Content

crankshaft position sensor replacement procedure description[/align]

when replacing the crankshaft position sensor on a 1996 to 1999 accent, elantra or tiburon, it is important to note differences in the construction of the original sensor and the replacement sensor.[/align]the sensor construction was modified in 1997. the sensor's housing material was changed from a metallic design to a plastic design (as can be seen in the pictures below).[/align]

comparison of crankshaft position sensor housing (39180-22050)[/align]

[/align]

note it is very important, when replacing an old style sensor with a new style sensor, that the o-ring and the plastic washer be removed from the sensor mounting hole before the new sensor is installed.
if the o-ring and/or the plastic washer is not removed from the sensor mounting hole, the new sensor will not fit properly.

[/align]
[/align]

[/align]

crankshaft position sensor mounting hole with the o-ring in place[/align]

crankshaft position sensor mounting hole with the o-ring properly removed

warranty information: normal warranty labor times and operation codes apply.

================================================== ==========

Also, here is a thread started by a forum member that had a similar problem:

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/m_12855/tm.htm

His CPKS needed to replaced, but the aftermarket sensor came with a mounting bolt that was too short to properly secure the sensor. Using the right bolt solved the problem.
[/align]