Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Forward collision detection question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Default Forward collision detection question

This could probably go in general too as I'm sure it's the same across all models but I put it here

I recently purchased a new 2109 Elantra SEL

It comes with forward collision detection and brake assist

It also has blind spot detection, lane keeper assist, and rear cross traffic detection

Lane keeper assist, blind spot, and rear cross traffic warnings have all gone if and I've verified they do in fact work

But as far as I know I've yet to receive an alarm for forward collision detection. I've checked the setup and I do in fact have it activated and turned on

Now mind you, it's not a feature I really want to test nor is it one you can fully commit to testing right? But, I've definitely gotten close to a few vehicles to see if anything happens and I've never gotten a warning on my display or an audible signal that I was too close

My friend has a different car brand with forward detection and it's constantly beeping at him so I'm curious how to really know if mine is working? Shouldn't it go off periodically even in normal driving? What if I'm changing Lanes and tuck in close behind a vehicle in front of me? Or what if I am just accelerating and closing the gap to a vehicle in front of me to the point where I'm quite close?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 05-10-2019, 05:37 PM

Hello.

I have the same car, and definitely is not as sensitive as my wife honda clarity, which keeps alerting constantly, specially in the NY traffic. In the city, mine has never alerted me, but in highways it will alert and brake the car. My daily conmute is really long (50 miles each way so I drive a lot). Mine has alert me 3 times, once in a sudden slowdown entering a tunnel (saved me just two days after getting the car), other when I got close to an other car that was exiting the parkway without signaling and I pass him close, and the last one was when trying to pass a slow driver on the left(doing 45 in a 65), that speed up just when I was passing him so I approached more than I like to the vehicle in front of me while changing lanes to finish the maneuver.

In the first scenario the car performed really good and braked the car really hard (in the dashboard appeared emergency braking and beeped), the other two times just beeped and showed in the dashboard collision avoidance warning.

Old 12-08-2019, 03:56 PM

It works. Right after I picked up my 2019 SEL for a test drive, somebody pulled out in front of me, and while I jumped on the brakes, it reacted faster than I did with a similar response to my 2019 VW Golf Alltrack, which also has FCA/D.

Also got to test the rear cross-traffic alert backing out of the driveway. If a car is coming, it's gonna let you know. Loudly.

The Blind Spot monitoring is effective, but I haven't seen it try to force me back in my lane if I try to move while the the blind spot light is on. My VW will strongly suggest you stay in your lane.