Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Stalling Out/EPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 08:51 AM
Unhappy Stalling Out/EPS

Hi everyone, I have a 2013 Elantra GLS with 240,000 miles. I take good care of it, and it's still running well. However, I occasionally have an issue where the vehicle will stall out on me. Typically, it happens when I'm coming off a highway at fast speed and slowing to a red light. It also happens when I get gas (either during fill-up or right after); and also, to a lesser extent, when I make a hard turn. When it happens the vehicle slows to a crawl (I still can brake) and I notice the EPS red light comes on. To restart my car, I give it a second, turn keys and press down on the acceleration pedal to rev it.

My car also revs itself often. I will be idle and the RPM meter will move up on its own and the car kind of inches itself forward unless I hold the brake really hard or put the vehicle in neutral. I don't know if this is related or not, but it is another aggravation. I have noticed days where I stall out correspond with times that the car does this revving.

I thought it could be related to my MAP sensor. I got the associated code telling me to replace it, and I hadn't replaced it ever until just now at 240k miles. That hasn't seemed to resolve my issue.

I'm not a car guy, and every mechanic I ask about this doesn't seem to help beyond "it could be a number of things, let's get it in the shop to find out $$$$". If anyone with a good understanding or similar experience could help that would be great. Thank you.