Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Steering problem 2010 hyundia elantra

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by rdmauch

Car handles totally different than standard model and told this is because of electric power system with ESC.
HUH ??? Elantra has had MDPS since 2007... ESC is a brake function,, not steering..

Car handles like a tank after 60 mph and you constantly have adjust steering wheel.
Assist is reduced as car goes faster, no slow speed steering load to overcome.

This car should be recalled because of this serious steering defect.
What is the defect ?? Did the car turn left when you turned steering wheel to right ? Please clarify defect.

Anyone have this problem and possible cure?
I have driven 2 or 3 of them as loaners, first had rather loose feeling about it at speed, definitely not set up for road course stuff on interstate.. 2nd I car I had drove better, but for my tatses it seemed to be borderline...
Here is what I would like for you to do.. go have alignment done ---> ALL 4 WHEELS..

I WANT you to have them set the rear cambers at -0.25 to -0.5 MAX..

Set the rear toes at +0.03 left and right for total toe of +0.06.... I'll let you have +0.10 maximum.

At the front, camber and caster will be what the car assemblled with.. stay within the -0.2 to -0.5 max,, and set the front toe no more than +0.08 total at front... tell me how the car drives after that...

DONT take no grief or guff from align fella with complaining about the numbers.. these numbers is straighter than the "IN SPECS" BS everybody is handing out,, we is aligning the car with a purpose.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 PM

I too purchased a 2010 Elantra with 12 miles on it. I immediately reported a steering pull to right and my dealer told me problem was (theirt guess, in order of visits to dealer:
10 low tire pressure
2) different tread pattern
3) wheel alignment
4) bent strut
5) bent steering knuckle (after 5 visits, new tire, 4 wheel alignments, new transmission at 20,000 miles and hate mail to Hyundai, they accused me of being in an accident, any excuse to delay repair until after warranty. This is my 4th and last Hyundai even though all the others ran over 70,000 miles with no problems. Finally, Hyundai agreed to offer "1 time courtesy repair" I guess that GO Hyundai of Colorado is aptly named.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by rdmauch
I to purchased a new 2010 elantra se in december because i wanted a inexpensive car with ESC. Dealer delivered standard elantra which i test drove and returned because it was not equiped with ESC. Dealer allowed return and replaced with new SE with ESC.
Car handles totally different than standard model and told this is because of electric power system with ESC. Car handles like a tank after 60 mph and you constantly have adjust steering wheel.
Other family members drive it and have no complaints, disgusted at this point and will trade it in this year and never by a hyandai again.
This car should be recalled because of this serious steering defect.
Notified Hyandai corp by e-mail on there customer satisfaction web site, got no reply.
Anyone have this problem and possible cure?
Thank you for your alignment information and I will return to dealer with info since the car is still under warranty.
The problem is when driviving over 60 to 65 mph on the thruway you constantly have to slightly jerk left or right to keep car going straight and in lane. On long trips your wrists hurt from slight corrections that are constantly needed. Car does not pull to one side more than the other. I dont know if its my imagination but I think it handles slightly better with the ESC turned of.
Again thanks for all your help.