Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Stereo wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Default Stereo wires

Hello all -

I have an '04 Elantra that I want to change the stock stereo out with a CD player. However, the previous owner put the stock stereo back in wired incorrectly. I have researched and have found the correct pinouts, but I have some questions on the wire colors. Two black wires, two orange, two yellow, and two green are mighty confusing to figure out what goes where (which explains how the stereo acts right now). Here is how the stereo is (kind of) functioning:

Illuminates properly.
Recognizes FM Stereo channels (seeks fine)
Cassette player seems to spin the tape fine, FF and REW good.
No sound while the car is on / started from any speaker (not even static)
Radio / tape heard when CAR IS TURNED OFF while stereo is on (clock also stays on???)

I would like to at least label the wires correctly on the stock player and get it working before replacing it. Any ideas on how to test what is what on these 15 wires, or does anyone have a really good pic to determine which wire goes where?

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give on this!

Thanks in advance!

Chaz

Old 10-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Default RE: Stereo wires

I have an '04 Elantra that I want to change the stock stereo out with a CD player. However, the previous owner put the stock stereo back in wired incorrectly.
Let me guess, the previous owner installed an aftermarket radio but rather than wire the new radio up correctly, the moron simply cut the original radio harness connector off and hard wired the new stereo to the harness. When it came time to retreive the radio from the car before he sold it to you, he did a hack job of replacing the original unit.

I suggest you start by replacing the original harness connector. A company called Scosche manufactures these, calling them "reverse harnesses". For your car, goto:

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/601

I think they come with original wiring schemes color coded on the wire or diagramed on the package. They also make a pigtail that plugs into the oriignal connector so that you can properly connect up any unit with the pigtail that comes with it without have to make further cuts. If you purshase a new unit from Crutchfields, they will usually provide the pigtail that plugs into the orignal harness connector.

I would like to at least label the wires correctly on the stock player and get it working before replacing it. Any ideas on how to test what is what on these 15 wires, or does anyone have a really good pic to determine which wire goes where?
All your questions are answered here:

http://www.carspace.com/guides/2001-...ra-Audio-Guide

This an excellent guide for wiring Elantra stereos specifically and almost any Hyundai in general that was written by Doohickie, the forum moderator.

Also, disconnect the battery when working on the harness and when connecting the unit to the harness. Use a multimeter to confirm the two hot leads (constant power and ACC/On) before testing the unit. I suggest you use "crimp on" connectors for the initial installation. Once you have all connections confirmed and finalized, slip off the crimped connector, solder and use shrink fit tubing (or wrap with electrical tape) on all joints.