Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Alignment check for 2010 Elantra Touring - pulls to the right

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Hi touring Guy's,
I've had mine for 4 day's noe only 300 miles, and rides good,
my trade in was a 2007 Fit, & it was a good car But just a city car,rough ride.
quick handling, fun for a few mile then the ride was to bad to go far..
we are both in the late 50's & liked the size & gas mpg on this touring Elantra.
we got the last automatic one they had. & so far so good!! : )

Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 AM

Good to have a forum with good tips for a newbe!
mine has just over 400 miles on it , so I was looking for the pull problem to show up!.
And it is there very so lighty, though.
is there a recall on it?
(Note) Now we can drive more then a 100 miles and fill fine! : )..
The Fit would bet you up so bad I could hardly walk after just 25 mile.
this has the same electric power steering, sealed bearing, wonder how long it will
last? The Fit made a wing noise after the 3 years was up!
But it nice to see under coating on the car!!.
Q- any one changed head lights? & is it hard to do?
thanks
from austin TX

Old 06-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Default 2010 Elantra Touring SE pulls to the right

Executive Summary: This "pulling to the right" problem on my '10 ET SE was fixed by the dealer's installation of "front cambolt kits" which allow adjustment of the front wheel camber. Details: I bought this ET SE in Feb. 2010. For the next year and 6600 miles it pulled to the right. Four trips to the dealer failed to fix the problem. Then I replied to a Hyundai survey saying that I was dissatisfied with my situation. The dealer called to say that they were going to install cambolt kits. This is apparently a bolt kit that replaces or modifies the original bolts on the top of the front struts, and allows adjustment of the wheel camber. Problem solved. I was not able to get a straight answer as to whether the camber was in or out of specifications before and/or after the adjustment. Anyway, if you're still fighting your steering issues with your ET, maybe this will help. Incidentally, before repair, the ET would track perfectly staight on a level surface with no crosswind. However, on a right-sloping road, it pulled to the right.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Have had my GLS w/15" tires for 6k miles now and absolutely no steering problems. I don't count road crown because I know it's an issue, but when you get it out on the superhighways where it's flat for miles it drives itself. Torque steer is noticable off the line in all front wheel drive cars that I've owned for the past 25 years but once you're going on a straight highway you shouldn't notice anything. Has anyone tried swapping the front tires around? Could be a tire issue.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Exfed
Executive Summary: This "pulling to the right" problem on my '10 ET SE was fixed by the dealer's installation of "front cambolt kits" which allow adjustment of the front wheel camber. Details: I bought this ET SE in Feb. 2010. For the next year and 6600 miles it pulled to the right. Four trips to the dealer failed to fix the problem. Then I replied to a Hyundai survey saying that I was dissatisfied with my situation. The dealer called to say that they were going to install cambolt kits. This is apparently a bolt kit that replaces or modifies the original bolts on the top of the front struts, and allows adjustment of the wheel camber. Problem solved. I was not able to get a straight answer as to whether the camber was in or out of specifications before and/or after the adjustment. Anyway, if you're still fighting your steering issues with your ET, maybe this will help. Incidentally, before repair, the ET would track perfectly staight on a level surface with no crosswind. However, on a right-sloping road, it pulled to the right.
Pulling to the right on a right sloping road is normal. A car will normally track to whichever way a road will slope. Not sure how a dealer can compensate for a right sloping road while not having the car veer left on a flat road.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:38 AM

After a little over a year of my continually complaining that my car pulled ot the right they brought in the district rep and had him drive the car. He agreed, that was a relief. The service manager told me that they were buying a new $15,000.00 wheel balancing machine and wanted to run my car thru that when it arrived. I waited for that and when they ran my car thru it they found out that I had one tire that was 2.3inches bigger in circumference than the other 3 tires. That is quite a lot.
So they replaced that tire and my car no longer pulls. It also is much easier to drive from a dead stop. I no longer have to feather the clutch to keep a tire from spinning or the car from stalling. The car is fixed! It took a year but it finally drives correctly.
FINALLY!!!
That road condition is called camber and the problem is that my car pulled to the right no matter what the road was cambered like. If I was in the left hand lane of a 2 lane highway the camber is to the left for drainage and my car would still pull to the right. If I had a 30 mph wind from the right my car would still pull to the right. I commute 25 miles each way every day on a "superhighway" and my hand would go to sleep from pulling on the steering wheel to keep it from going into the ditch. I have been driving front wheel drive cars for 45 years. Both I and the dealer had switched tires around and no matter what the car pulled to the right which to me does not make sense if my problem was the oversize tire. But a new tire fixed the problem.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

So basically you are saying there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with the car itself. It was totally the tire. I wonder if that's the same thing for teh Sonata.

Yes, a slightly larger tire will cause the car to steer. Put a paper cup on its side and roll it. Does it go straight? Which way does it turn? It will always turn to the smaller diameter end.

A 2.3" circumference difference is large enough to make a difference. The stock 205/55-16" tire is 24.9" in diameter and approx 78.2" in circumference. A tire that has a 2.3" larger circimference would be about 25.6" in diameter. That's over half an inch taller.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 AM

I must with hold final judgement but so far the car handles very nicely after getting the new tire. They put the new tire is on the back, it caused the big problem when it was on the front so I want to wait until I have that same wheel with the new tire on the front where it was. What does concern me more right now is what long term effect the unequal sized tires may have had on clutch wear and the drive train.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 PM

By the way I would agree with your theory about the cone effect but the oversize tire was on the front right and the car pulled to the right. Anti cone. I do not understand the mechanics yet. It involves the drive train of the car also.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 PM

another touring owner here with pulling to right problem from day one of ownership .... 15,000 miles later still have same problem

driven 2 other tourings and they drive fine ours still does not

multiple alignments = no help
force balanced tires once at dealer and once at tire store = tires checkout ok

now they offset the steering wheel as much as they can to the left to help trick the steering box but only do that less then 5 degrees or the computer would go off seems like it needs another 5 to 10 degrees to solve problem

so we either have a bad steering box
bad alignment or wrong factory spec or need new specs for car to track straight

we have stock metal 15" wheels and factory tires... dealer says tires check out but one now of right rear used to be on right front and the force balance the other day said to move it to the right rear

we got like slight help by moving the tire and offsetting the steering wheel
but not nearly close to making the car track straight

all we have gotten is the dealer blaming out complaints on us for 7,500 miles that we are not used to the electronic power steering and that's our fault

today we got we cannot do anything else and all Asian cars go to the right on American roads cause they are not designed for them... This was a quote from the service manager at one of the biggest dealers in town

I am frustrated beyond measure we have email Hyundai and files a complaint and to the national traffic safety database

this problem is dangerous because it makes it un-predictable in driving trying to keep it between the lines while driving

would love any more infor from people that have installed CAM BOLTS or had the deal do it

anyone with bad factory tires or other people with 15" wheels

anyone with bad steering boxes or data points in centering it

thanks for any help and thanks for the forum to help protect us from being brushed off at the dealer.... the dealer hated that I was reading this thread but still no help

Quick Reply: Alignment check for 2010 Elantra Touring - pulls to the right