Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Alignment check for 2010 Elantra Touring - pulls to the right

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by mrstroya
well the last attempt to fix the car the dealer force balanced the tires and then he offset the centerpoint of the stearing wheel to the left 3 to 4 degrees.... this is a crappy solution and did help it but not fix the right drift if they did 3 to 4 degrees then the car needs about 8 to 10 degrees but they would set off codes...
When I first read this I thought the dealer physically removed the steering wheel and put it back on... But you must be talking about the dealer aligning the toe of the vehicle with the steering wheel off center. Adjusting toe of a car typically will not affect how straight the car drives so that would be a crappy solution.

When you are talking about caster you must mean positive caster not negative. As a general rule a car will drift to the side with the most negative caster at highway speeds and will pull to the side with the most positive camber.

So the dealer is probably going to loosen up your vehicle's subframe and shift it to make the left side caster be more towards negative than the right side. This will help compensate for road crown. Typically I thought manufacturers of cars would put slightly more positive caster on the right side as well as slightly more negative camber on the right side because of road crown.

From what I've gathered the pulling complaints are related to the tires(radial tire pull or inflation), alignment or the steering system. In my case it seems to be related the steering systems ability to center itself after turns.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Insipid2000
In my case it seems to be related the steering systems ability to center itself after turns.
yes I would tend to agree with you that the steering box is part of the problem... when the centered the steering wheel off to the left 3 to 4 degrees is in aligning the steering boxes to the cars computer so that it would think center was off the the left and not dead on straight

I want a new steering box put on the car but cannot get the dealer to do it and it was another dealer many states aways that said the sub frame needs to be adjusted but the dealer here will not do that so I need to take it to a alignment shop.... but it is my moms car and I have not had a chance to take it anywhere yet

Old 11-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Default 53K mile check in

Hi all.

I starts this thread almost 2 years ago. I'm glad it helped some people and it sucks to hear so many others having bad experiences.

I'm now at 53K miles and just replaced the original tires. I'm happy to report no issue with pulling to the right. Now I just hope to make these new tires last another 50K miles.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

And yet again, someone replaces the tires and the problem goes away. There is nothing wrong with the car, it's the tires.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
And yet again, someone replaces the tires and the problem goes away. There is nothing wrong with the car, it's the tires.
Well we all should request new tires and force a recall cause they sold us a defective product

Old 11-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrstroya
Well we all should request new tires and force a recall cause they sold us a defective product
More correctly, Kumho sold Hyundai a defective product.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Default Not the tires

I just got four brand new bridgestones, and an alignment, and it still pulls to the right.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Default Tire wear

Well, just after I started liking this car at 25k miles, the dreaded Hyundai wheel alignment demon reared it's ugly head. Seriously, Google "Hyundai tire wear" and you'd be surprised how common this problem is, people having to get 3 sets of tires within a 40,000 mile life . Brought it in for an alignment back in June because of inside shoulder wear on the left front and noticed the drivers side tires, front and rear, wearing on the inside shoulder, 3k miles after the alignment. Had it in today to get it checked along with the fuel door thing. They said they made a one degree adjustment. We'll see what their numbers are this time. Got a feeling the end of this story isn't "happily ever after"...

Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 AM

When I had my 09 ET, it did the same thing. When it came time for new tires, it helped, but oddly enough the wear pattern on the old tires didnt indicate an alignment issue. The car never did track straight in the entire time I owned it, always had to put more than desirable pressure on the wheel to offset the pull- if you let go of the wheel the car would run off the road pretty quickly. Nothing Ive owned before or since has had steering characteristics like that ET. The 12 Sonata I currently have tracks nice and straight.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:05 PM

I still haven't put new tires on. I have only 14k miles on it and the tires look good. That is exactly my complaint: the pressure I have to put on the wheel to keep in tracking straight is too much.
I travel the same roads to work everyday and sometimes I can get it to track straight by jerking the wheel to the left and letting it correct...
Since I still don't know the cause I admit it could be tires but I've not seen tires have an intermittent pull, usually it happens all the time.

Quick Reply: Alignment check for 2010 Elantra Touring - pulls to the right