Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

ESC Going off

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 AM

Ok, Yes there is a problem with the Touring
The sensor found in the Steering Angle sensor failed. The steering column had to be replaced because the sensor is built into the column.
No charge.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Add me to the ESC Off club. It happened about a week ago, and lasted for one day. Hasn't recurred---yet. Just restarting the car didn't fix it, but after the car was off for a longer period of time, the light did go out. I hope mine is just the brake light switch.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Not sure about the problem being in the Brake Light Switch.
I was told the problem was in the sensors, which are imbedded in the steering column.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Could very well be that more than one issue can cause this symptom. The break light switch was the problem in my car. The switch was replaced and it fixed my esc off light.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Default Brake Light Switch

Add mine to the brake light switch club. My Hyundai dealer said this was not an uncommon problem across many Hyundai models. Pretty easy fix that was covered under warranty and hasn't come back since.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Resurrecting this thread...My "esc off" light reared its ugly head again last week. Happened twice.

The first time this happened, the brake light sensor triggered it.

About 2 weeks ago, I replaced a rear brake light...forgive my noobishness, but is it safe to assume that the brake lights being replaced would not affect the brake light sensor?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

I think you mean brake light switch, not sensor. No, a bulb shouldn't affect the switch. However, the switch may have gone bad again.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 AM

Well this is a new one. I have 2009 Elantra Touring automatic and I had my ESC light go off with less than 5k miles on it. They changed the brake light switch under warranty and that fixed the problem. However, I now have 50k miles on my car and the ESC light has come on again. It came back probably a week or two ago and goes on and off. Today I pulled into my driveway and could not shift from neutral into reverse, had to use the shift lock override to get it into park. Called my dealer and they said that was due to the faulty brake light switch. I am taking the car in on monday, but until then I have to use the shift lock override every time I go into or out of park. Pain in the butt. To top it off, I realized this evening that I have no brake lights. Has anyone else had such an extreme case of brake light switch failure?

Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Normal. Yes, some people have had to get the replacement switch replaced.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM

Hi Mrvold,

Did Hyundai replace the second brake light switch under warranty?

I'm having the same problem with about the same mileage as you.. First problem with the car other than a misalignment, too much tow in.

Jim

Quick Reply: ESC Going off