Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

ET--More power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Default ET--More power?

I am very happy with my ET. But I would like it even more if I could get some more power. I am wondering if there is any info available on a breather and exhaust system for the ET to gain some HP??

I would like to stay w/in warranty guidelines.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Modifications void the warranty. I'd avoid doing that if I were you.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:22 PM

Mods will only void the warranty if the manufacturer can prove it directly contributed to the failure of the system. Read the Magnuson-Moss Act if you want more information. Go ahead and get an intake and have a shop fabricate a quiet custom exhaust for you. I want to here what it sounds like before I do it

Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Banned

Right, when the valves burn up and the dealer won't cover the damage because of the intake and exhaust... you'll be SOL. What are you gonna do? Hire a lawyer? Call the feds? Good luck with that.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by jsinton
Right, when the valves burn up and the dealer won't cover the damage because of the intake and exhaust... you'll be SOL. What are you gonna do? Hire a lawyer? Call the feds? Good luck with that.
If that's how your dealer operates, sounds like you need a new one you can trust. Yes, I would get a lawyer if the dealer was violating a consumer protection law.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by jsinton
Modifications void the warranty. I'd avoid doing that if I were you.

Engine mods will ruin the powertrain warranty....Don't worry about puting in an air intake and exhaust system, by puting thoes in your not moding the motor. In fact, its much better for the car and will give better mpg's. I am looking for a cold air intake and exhaust system myself except only mods i found for our cars is coilovers = ( If u want an intake really bad just buy a K&N filter it gives just as good of performance as a 200$ intake system

Old 12-19-2010, 03:58 PM

On my 2010, the engine air input comes from the front right under the hood. How much colder can you get?

Old 12-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by mdingel
On my 2010, the engine air input comes from the front right under the hood. How much colder can you get?
A little colder because stock is still technically under the hood where the temperature is not quite ambient. But, I think the most benefit from a CAI (we're looking at 2-4hp max from the dyno's I've seen on the Beta II) comes from getting an intake with the ideal diameter (throughout), and getting rid of the nasty, restrictive bends, piping, and resonators in the stock intake.

Anyways, I use the K&N Apollo, maintec header, hi-flow cat, and custom 2.25" catback. Also have lightweight wheels and Lineage ground kit. Haven't got a dyno yet, but I'm probably sitting at about 130-132 at the wheels and around 150-152 at the crank. There are not huge gains to be had from bolt-ons, but done properly you can squeeze out an extra 8-10%.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by chahlee_wonton
Engine mods will ruin the powertrain warranty....Don't worry about puting in an air intake and exhaust system, by puting thoes in your not moding the motor. In fact, its much better for the car and will give better mpg's. I am looking for a cold air intake and exhaust system myself except only mods i found for our cars is coilovers = ( If u want an intake really bad just buy a K&N filter it gives just as good of performance as a 200$ intake system
There are plenty of mods for our car you just have to know where to look. Most of them can be found by starting your search for i30 mods instead of Elantra Touring mods. A K&N panel will not give you the gains that a true CAI system will because you're not eliminating the restrictiveness of the stock system.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:34 AM

I'd try a custom exhaust first. Have them cut the pipe just before the muffler, and replace with a maganflow with dual outs. You'd need to have them bend the dual output pipes and then add a couple of chrome tips. If that's not enough power gain, then look at a CAI. (a cold air intake can be noisy - but it's a performance sound)

I'm thinking of adding some aftermarket engine mounts that are available. They're suppose to smooth things out. I think less vibration when accelerating would be satisfying too.

Quick Reply: ET--More power?