Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Need help w/Terrible mileage, whats your RPM at shifts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the reply Zero,
To be more clear, the older Hyundais, as in three years ago or so, had a switch with three manual settings. You would set this switch for "Taller" or "Shorter" gear ratio's. Say one day you want to race around, you can get higher RPM's on the fly.
Responding to your point about the adaptive thing, what I gathered from what I read, is that its a one time deal during the break in period.
Thats when the car learns your habits and fine tunes the TCM to meet your "percieved" needs.
Sound like what your saying is that its progressive adaptation "Fine Tuning itself", as it were, every hundred miles or so. Thats not what I gathered, but could be wrong.
My translation of the information was its a pretty much final after break in, and thats why they have these new procedures in place for the 09' 10' year Elantra Touring models explaining how to reset the TCM for problems like mine, so it can be reset to re-learn if there's a problem.
Seems the service center (Mecahnic) has to log into the Hyundai Service site, connect the car up with a cord, usb on one end goes to the computer, TCM adapter goes to the car, and they re-flash the TCM codes back to Pre-Adapted state from the main Hyundai site. Like flashing a computer BIOS.
This is the only way.
What you said about reseting the VW codes sounds almost like how I reset the check engine light in some cars I've had. Turning the key to access light, pressing the trip button three times, all that. I've seen differant ways to reset that, the check engine light, but dont know alot about these TCM or ECU code flashes and resets.
Something else funny comes to mind on that note. In the Hyndai, at least mine, you reset the check engine light by battery disconnect.
Thats the only way.
So I did that in hopes it would cure this shift issue two months ago.
I left the battery terminals off the entire day.
Now get this, I told the service manager I did that, and he said, and I quote, "Well, thats not good with these new cars. You might have damaged the on board computer."
My response was, "So your telling me if my battery goes dead, or lets say I change it out for a better one, then my car could be damaged?"
He scratched his head. And I said, "That doesnt sound right to me."
I mean, these guys and their excuses can be laughable sometimes.
Sadly, some people buy this garbage. Sorry if I sound jaded, but I am, terribly. Its why I try to do things myself when possible.
Anyway, I'll post what I find out from Hyundai. That said, I'm treading very carefully now. I dont care if I have to drive all day to get there, I want a service center with experianced mechanics.
Have a good weekend,
John

Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM

Could I get a copy of those Dyno numbers?