Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

pinging

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Default pinging

Saw in an older post where some one was complaining of pinging. Was wondering if anyone else experienced this? I noticed mine was pinging today, especially when I was going up a hill. OM says octane requirements are 87 or above... Never had a late model car with this much pinging.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 PM

No bites, eh? For someones future reference then: I took it to the dealer, they did all the right things- checked for engines codes, checked the knock sensor, monitered fuel trims, etc., nothing was found and the mechanic couldn't replicate the pining mainly because it was a lot cooler that day (70F) and I heard pinging on a relatively warm day (86F) which was also unusually dry. Plus I had a mix of about 50/50 of 89 and 87 octane fuel in the tank. They told me next time I heard it on a hot day to just drop by and they would investigate further. I like that they didn't tell me to just put a higher octane fuel in it which would've been the cheap fix.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Stick or Automatic? If auto, then perhaps the trans isn't doing its job of downshifting, when needed. What are your revs when it starts to ping?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Automatic, it's not revving low. I've noticed pinging between 2500 and 3000 rpm going up hills.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Took it back to the dealer, was talking to one of the techs, seemed competant- talked about knock sensor and the timing being pulled back when it detects knocking. Left it with the tech so he could drive it home and back w/scanner hooked up(40 mile round trip, mostly highway, whereas my ride is mostly back roads) . Says the ECM picked an instaneous knock before they could hear it a few times, generated no codes. Says no noise heard going up hills and so basically it's a NPF. It's frustrating because it doesn't do it where you'd expect it, like up steep hills. More like when you have constant pressure on the throttle while going up a hill. I have 89 in it for now to quiet it down. Funny, I see instances like this up and down the web with no real solution.