Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

rear bumper protective sheet

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 PM

My virtual garage has been updated with pictures of my bumper. Kind of hard to see anything since the cover is black and so is my bumper, but feel free to take a look.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:05 AM

Zeilritter,
I ordered one . How long did you have to wait?

Old 01-31-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by DrDemento
Zeilritter,
I ordered one . How long did you have to wait?
These Korean export sites are notorious for long waits on purchases. I usually wait at least 3 weeks.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by zielritter
I got/installed it during this past Christmas. All you do is spray the adhesive side with a water/soap mixture, clean your bumper well, align it on the bumper, and then use a hair dryer to quickly cure the adhesive. Like I said, it's basically like a thicker piece of vinyl. I wouldn't exactly call it "heavy duty", but it does protect my bumper very well from my dog's claws (one is a 75 pound shepherd mix) when they jump in. If you dropped a sharp implement on it, I don't know if I would trust it not to tear though.
I got mine today. I guess I will wait till it gets warmer.The directions are in Korean. I did not see a picture of the hair dryer on the sheet. Did you wet the sheet with soap to get it off? What do you recommend as a squeegee?
If you can give me a step to step may help me.
Thanks

Old 02-03-2010, 05:17 AM
Old 02-03-2010, 07:51 AM

I got mine today. I guess I will wait till it gets warmer.The directions are in Korean. I did not see a picture of the hair dryer on the sheet. Did you wet the sheet with soap to get it off? What do you recommend as a squeegee?
If you can give me a step to step may help me.
Thanks
I used the hair dryer because it was pretty obvious when I got it on my bumper that it wasn't drying very quickly (temp. was about 25 degrees I think). It's probably best to have another pair of hands to pull this off. Anyways, here is the procedure I followed going off the pictures provided in the instructions, and my prior experiences with sorts of things.

1) Clean and dry bumper thorougly.
2) Remove backing from guard.
3) Have other person hold the guard while you spray the adhesive side with water or water/soap mixture.
3) Align the guard on the bumper to your liking.
4) Squeegee out excess moisture (I used a credit card ).
5) As your partner uses a hair-dryer at close range to dry the adhesive, follow behind him with your squeege and continue removing any air-bubbles or remaining moisture.
6) Use your judgment as to when you think it's sufficiently cured, and let air dry for a few hours. You should be good to go.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 AM

Thanks again,

Did you have any scratches before you installed? If so did the decal hide it?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Thanks again,

Did you have any scratches before you installed? If so did the decal hide it?
No scratches on my bumper before, but it would easily hide them. It's an opaque piece of vinyl.