Hyundai Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HF? Ask! Have a suggestion to better HF? Tell us here..

2007 hyundai sonata loses power

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Default 2007 hyundai sonata loses power

2007 Hyundai Sonata, The Wifes experience... I sitting on the interstate in very slow traffic dash light for battery and one other warning light came on. pulled to shoulder turned engine off. 5 minutes later restarted and those lights were cleared for a few seconds then those and many more lit up so I shut off the engine. after traffic began to flow, I restarted and merged onto the interstate and drove about 2 miles before slowly losing power. windows, sunroof, would not function. Could not put it into the park so I put it in neutral and eventually engine stopped. When I arrived at the car's key would not go into lock position or come out and the shifter would not go into the park position.

Last edited by manly147; 07-14-2018 at 09:09 AM. Reason: To get the story from the wife, she was driving.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:11 PM

Sounds like a dead battery.
And the alternator isn't charging the battery.

Measure the voltage across the battery
Then, I would try to jump start the car.
First put the cables on (correctly) for the jump start
Depress the brakes and put shifter into park.
Turn to pull key out. Wait til there is enough charge on the battery to crank the engine.
Try to start the car.
If engine runs then measure voltage across the battery
Is the voltage around or near 14.5 volts?

If you have no warranty on vehicle then go to auto parts store
And see if they will test the alternator and battery
Replace if necessary.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:04 PM

Hey Avisitor, Thanks for the response! That's what I thought too. When I got the car home the battery tested good, even though my trickle charger never got to a full charge overnight. so I took it to the parts store and their test also said it was OK. SO R&R the alternator with a refurb. Still, in the process, Freekin radiator had to come out too... I had the valve cover leak a year ago that this car has a reputation for, and I guess I didn't get all the crap and oil out of the alternator then. When I took the alternator out it was caked on the back side bad,.plus my dime store battery tester showed intermittent charging. Thanks for verifying my suspicion it was the alternator.